79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I made some more progress the last week. I did a final fit of the carpet and got a few interior panels installed. I think I should've put the kick panels in before the dash, that would have made things a lot easier. I still have to put the passenger kick panel in. That one is difficult with the A/C actuator on it. I misplaced the spring for the actuator door so that's gonna have to wait. The headliner is clamped in place and needs a little trimming before I can get the t-top trim and window trim installed. Still waiting on the new package tray too. That should be here this week.

The seats are put together and look awesome...

[​IMG]

I got a new lens for the gauges and a new needle for the volts gauge. I touched up all the needles with some fluorescent orange paint. They look brand new. The dash is really taking shape and looking really good.

[​IMG]

Body wise, I got the front bumper on, the wheels wells attached and the rear tail light assemblies installed. One good thing about the car being backed in to the garage is that the front bumper is out in the sun, that made it really easy to maneuver and get into place...lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Are you going to put the seat belt loops on the seat and how do you put the lenses on while the lights are in the car?

3. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Yes I'm going to put the seatbelt loops on the seats. I'll probably put them on after the seats are in just to be safe. The taillight housings are going to have to come off to put the lenses on. The lenses are on order and won't be here till next week but I wanted to run the wiring so I put the housings in place.

serpent710 likes this.
  4. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It's beginning to look a lot more like a Camaro with the deck lid and rear spoiler on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the side that had the rear quarter, door skin, and front fender replaced.

[​IMG]

The headliner is in and so is most if the interior trim. The inside is almost done. Just need the package tray and seat belts before I can finish it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

serpent710 likes this.
  5. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I made more progress over the last couple weeks but a lot has been the kind that you can't see...lol. I got the starter in, the fly wheel cover cleaned up and installed, charged the battery and cleaned up some wiring. I also had a little setback and had to take some steps backwards. I failed to put the kick panels in before the dash. The right kick panel has the AC vacuum actuator and it was impossible to get it in with the dash installed. So I had to remove it. Lesson learned! Plus, the new panels have speakers in them so I would rather not try to force them in. When I removed the gauges I noticed a small tear in the circuits so I had to order a new one. I ordered a couple new bulbs while I was at it.

A couple big ticket items came in....seat belts and tail lenses!! I got those in and the back interior and rear end are complete. The new weather stripping is still a little stiff so the trunk will have to be readjusted to close all the way so the spoiler lines up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the starter is in I was able to connect the battery and start working on the electrical. First item on the list is the new Retrosound radio. It looks good and fits great. I have one of these in my 69 TA and I can't say enough good things about them. They fit in the dash without making any cuts or mutilations...lol. And they sound awesome!!!

[​IMG]

Check out the sound in this short video....

[​IMG]

Once the printed circuit gets here I can get the gauges in, clean up the wiring under the dash, mount the steering wheel, and put in the console and front seats. I'm still waiting on a piece for the door locks before I put the windows in and install the door panels. After that I can call the interior DONE! Then I can focus on getting an exhaust made and getting her running. Getting close!!!

mrfleet12 likes this.
  6. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Well one step forward means a few steps back. I had some electrical issues with the tail harness. The right turn signal got all funky when I turned it on but the left signal worked perfect. I traced down a bad ground wire in the tail harness which meant tearing it all back out and unwrapping it. But the good news is that it works perfect now. I took a break from the wiring and got the headers installed. They went in pretty easy after I removed the starter and a couple brackets. They look good! I'm not sure if I can use the chrome valve covers because they're too tall and don't clear the AC bracket so I painted the original ones just in case. Also, the lower AC bracket that mounts to the exhaust manifold don't fit between the header pipes and can't be bolted on, so I don't know what to do with that. I'll figure that out when the new compressor gets here. Any suggestions are more than welcome! So back to the wiring, the power windows don't work now. Not sure why. The worked when I hooked up the battery. All the fuses are good but no power. I put the windows in and I'm thinking that maybe the motors are too weak to lift them??? I have no idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roadrace2 likes this.
  7. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As Far as your A/C woes (and mine) goes, I'm headed to a front mount serpentine set-up, you can get one from the salvage if you now what to look for or you can order a new one from GMPP and various others. New comes with A/C compressor and Alt, PS pump as well. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on this myself as I just picked up a New rad and electric fan assembly to get in first. This is how it would look.

Attached Files:

8. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

The interior is almost complete. Everything is in except the passenger door panel and steering wheel. I’m having trouble getting the windows aligned. They don’t go up smoothly and are very slow. It could be the motors but I’m hoping it isn’t. They don’t close properly either. It might have something to do with the new weatherstripping. I haven’t dealt with this before so I think I’m going to need some help. There are a few little wiring issues to iron out too. I was having trouble with the blower motor not running right but it just needed to be cleaned up. It was squeaking a lot. I’m still trying to figure out why it won’t blow on hi. It trips the breaker and stops but the other speeds are fine. I’m going to try to get it to an exhaust shop this week so I can work on getting it started soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roadrace2 likes this.
  9. earnhardtgm3

earnhardtgm3 Veteran Member

Looking good. Keep it up.:)

10. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It's almost a complete car again. I got some little details worked out. The blower motor switch was really gunked up and tripping the breaker when I put it on high. I took it apart and cleaned it up, now it blows on high and that's all working properly. I put new shocks all the way around. I have brake backing plates on order with new pads. Since the blower motor is fixed I put the fenders back on. Getting them lined up with the new front bumper was a major pain in the ass. Neither of them are exact fits and it took a lot of work getting them lined up. I had to go as far as almost removing the core support, but didn't have to. All I had to do was make sure it was loose enough to maneuver forward or backwards. I finally got it right and got the door gaps lined up.

I reworked the dash panel because I didn't like the way it first turned out. I repainted it and outlined the gauges and switches with a silver paint pen. It just didn't look right to me so I started all over. I repainted it again and remembered a film called Bare Metal Foil. It's a very fine adhesive product used in the modeling world. It comes in aluminum, chrome, and brass finishes. It presses on and forms to all the little details on models to reproduce chrome trim and emblems. And it worked beautiful on the dash panel! It looks like new.

Today it went to the exhaust shop for a new true dual muffler, dual cats system. I went with a nice mild Magnaflow muffler. It'll be done tomorrow and I can finally work on getting it started for the first time! Then I have to align the side windows, get the front and rear windows installed, bleed the brakes, permanently install the t-top/window weatherstrip, pop the hood on, and apply the decals. Its getting so close!

It was good to see it out in the open and in the sun to take some good pics all around...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrfleet12, roadrace2 and Glava like this.