79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool idea on the dash inlay, how many sheets did you use to get that done and what brand did you use?
    Thanks.

2. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It took 2 sheets. There's only one brand that I know of called Bare-Metal. You should be able to find it in any good hobby shop.
    [​IMG]

manicmechanic likes this.
  3. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Exhaust is in and it's back in the garage. I went with a short turn down tail pipe instead of a long pipe all the way to the back. I wanted to keep it as high as possible to avoid dragging on some of the steep driveways in AZ or bottoming out on all the dam speed humps. I picked up all the fluids today and hopefully should be starting it next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mrfleet12 and serpent710 like this.
  4. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Really looking good

5. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Another few weeks have past and more little details taken care of. I filled all the fluids and found a couple leaks, nothing serious though. The transmission was leaking from the kick down cable, the oil was leaking from the filter, and the coolant was leaking from the plug in the head. Each head has a threaded port for a temperature sender, one has the sensor and the other one needed to be plugged. I got that taken care of last week. The battery was toast so I got a new one. I put it in on a Friday and come Monday it was dead :( I think the blower motor relay is draining it. I unplugged it and it's holding a charge. I hate electrical poo! I put all new brakes all the way around, new calipers and rotors in the front, and new drums and springs in the rear. Also got the new decals in but haven't put any on yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! After all the leaks were fixed and I got it back on the ground after replacing the brakes, I turned the key for the first time. It wouldn't fire :( I double checked the plug wires, they were tight. I checked the firing order, it was right. Then I checked to make sure I didn't wire the plug wires for a Pontiac, I didn't...lol. I checked to make sure the rotor was on #1, it was. I checked to make sure it was on the compression stroke, it was. I was lost. Then I realized I never plugged in the distributor! DOH!!! LMAO!

This is literally the first and second turn of the key after I plugged it in today...

[​IMG]

The timing is a little too advanced so I have to retard it and bring the idle down. The new exhaust sounds really good, a lot better than you can hear on the video. I'll take another video after it's dialed in.

serpent710 likes this.
  6. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Did some fine tuning today...

[​IMG]

It's got a nice mellow rumble, just what I was looking for. I had a problem with a couple spark plug wires resting on the headers. I'm going to have to make custom lengths and use looms to route them safely.

7. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Sounds good, I had the same problem with the wires and ended up using spark plug wire socks on all 8 just to be safe.

8. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Where did you get your stripe kit and any indication of who made it?

9. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It’s made by Phoenix Graphics. I ordered it through Camaro Central but you can order direct from Phoenix. I didn’t realize it was a Phoenix Graphic product or I would have ordered direct since I’m in AZ.

10. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Mine burned all the way through the rubber . You can see it on the video.