79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

It's been a hectic week for me so I haven't gotten much done. I got the new fender and quarter panel on Monday and they both look good. The fender may have a little bit of a fitment issue but I won't know until I bolt it on. I have the quarter panels taped up to trim but haven't cut anything. I'm not sure how I want to go about it yet. I've been working on the right side body. The fender and quarter have a skim coat of filler and the door is skinned but not spot welded yet. I'm leaving that until I get the rest of the body finished so I can line everything up, then I'll tac the door skins in place. I also ran into a snag removing the rear bumper because someone fully welded a tow hitch to the frame and it covered the bumper bolts. I had to get under there and do some cutting on the brackets to get it off the bumper. I still have to cut the brackets that are welded to the frame to get the rest out. Who puts a tow hitch on a Camaro???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got a new toy too. It's an Eastwood "blast from a bucket" blasting system. It's basically a spray gun with a hose that goes into a bucket of blasting media. It's inexpensive and great for small parts. I don't think I'll be doing my wheels wells with it.

Before and after. It took about 5 minutes to blast it clean.
    [​IMG]

2. simso

simso Veteran Member

You had no problems rolling the door skin edge?, first one I ever did, i got ripples and dimples etc, horrendous experience, then i bought a pneumatic planishing arm for doing door skins, awesome tool

Steve

3. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

No I didn't have any problems. I worked it slowly and didn't try to force the metal. Once it started to fold it rolled over smoothly. I looked at a pneumatic planisher and almost ordered one but decided to try it by hand first. It's a longer process but not too bad. I still have the left door to do.

4. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I made some progress on the body this weekend. I got the left door skinned and got the front fender fitting. The fender gave me some issues. I couldn't get it mounted back far enough to bolt onto the cowl or the door jam and the gap between the door was huge! It was sitting a good half inch off and I couldn't find out what was keeping it from going further back. The I saw what it was. I'm going to try to explain this as best as I can. The bracket that mounts the fender to the firewall and cowl was screwed up. For those of you who are familiar with the structure know that the fender is formed to curve around the firewall to the cowl. There is a reinforcement bracket welded to the fender and follows the shape of the curve as seen in this picture of the original fender

[​IMG]

The reinforcement on the new fender was about half inch off and hitting the firewall preventing the fender from moving any further back.

[​IMG]

There was only one option to fix it and that was to drill out way too many spot welds that held it on and get it fitting better. After drilling it out it looked like Swiss cheese.

[​IMG]

I plug welded it all back together and it fits the way it should.

[​IMG]

You can really see the difference here...

[​IMG]

Now I need to get the body lines lined up and set the gaps. But first I still need to replace the left quarter panel. I'll drop the trans while it's still in the air then drop it on it's wheels and tackle the quarter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

simso likes this.
  5. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

Nice work. I was not impressed with NPD's sheet metal. For such a large company it should have better quality.

6. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You'll easily have better alignment than the factory in 79 -here is what they did in June 79. Z28DSfrontMiddlegap.JPG Z28DSfrontBottom.JPG

7. Glava

Glava Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Serpent 710, Just a change of topic, but why do you say non-functional side vents describing your Z28? They actually are not open like mine?

8. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Serpent710 - I'm not that impressed with it either. I saw a video of a guy replacing his front fender and he had the same problem but the fender was from Goodmark. That makes me wonder if the restoration companies get their re-pops from the same manufacturer. When I was putting the Ram Air IV intake on my 69 TA I ordered from Pontiac Central. One of the air actuators was on back order because the manufacturer kept sending them right side actuators and no left side ones. I called Classic Industries and their left sides were on back order too, so was National Parts Depot. Come to find out that there is only one manufacturer of the RA IV set up and all the resto companies buy from them.

serpent710 likes this.
  9. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I hope I get lines like that. Right now the gap is pretty big on front and back, they're about 3/8". I still have to play with them though. Keeping my fingers crossed.

10. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I got some news bout the motor the other day. The block is a virgin block with only a few thousandths wear in the cylinders. We're going to bore it .20 over and put new pistons in. The crank is good and will be polished and reused. The heads are cracked. Bummer! So now I have a decision to make that's based on personal opinion. Do I fix the heads and keep it all original, or go with an aftermarket head and intake? Originality will attract certain buyers, but a shiny high performance motor will attract other buyers. Thoughts???