79 Z28 "Fresh Start"

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by jmbz28, Feb 4, 2019.

1. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I finally decided on a direction with the quarter panel. Instead of replacing the whole thing I'm going to do 2 patches. One between the door and wheel well and the other from the wheel well back to just before the spoiler mount holes. I was hoping not to have to go all the down and around the bottom but I'm going to have to since I uncovered some damage. There's about 1/8" of filler and some holes where someone used a puller to fix a dent.

I decided to leave the corner of the original panel in tack and not have to get into the door jam.

[​IMG]

This was a California car and it shows by how solid it is inside and out. I really hope to find more like this!

[​IMG]

Here's what I uncovered on the quarter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SOLID!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swimsuit contest at Bobbie McGee's!!! Lol

[​IMG]

serpent710 and mrfleet12 like this.
  2. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I need some input here. I’m feeling a little undecided on the quarter panel. Should I replace the whole thing or do the 2 patches like I was going to do yesterday. I don’t think there’s any benefits either way other than the amount of welding. But there’s another option to welding the full length of the panel and that's to use panel bonding adhesive on a flanged edge and fill with fiberglass filler. I appreciate any comments and direction.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Coming around into the door jam won't be as bad as I thought. A few plug welds and some fiberglass filler will do the trick and the gap between the door will be better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear of the panel will come to just before where the spoiler bolts on and would be the only bead I would need to weld if I used panel adhesive. The top wouldn't go over the body line, I would cut at the top of the blue tape.

[​IMG]

4. simso

simso Veteran Member

Amazing the sins you find below the paint is it not.

Since you have the skin, I would replace as much as I could with the new panel

5. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Agreed Simso. Yesterday I cut the rest of the quarter out and got the new skin screwed into place. I have to grind some spot welds, do the final fitting and it'll be ready for it's final install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

564DCE6A-15A8-4ACE-9C70-D3F1C88A59CA.jpeg 14F52FD0-B5F3-455F-9C2F-DE05E88552DE.jpeg Final fit is done and a coat of rust prohibitor is on. Unfortunately I forgot to order weld through primer so it’s gonna have to wait a few days.

7. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I got what I need to install the quarter panel. While I was waiting I did a final alignment and fitment of the right door and fender. Yesterday I welded the door skin on the right door and stripped the paint off the hood. It's in perfect condition. Tomorrow the quarter goes on and I start adjusting that side. I see a lot of blocking this weekend! But that's one step closer to paint. I have to power wash underneath and spray an undercoat first.

[​IMG]

8. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

So here's some pictures of the cracks in the heads. You can see it in 2 exhaust ports on one head, the other head is the same. You can't see it in the picture but the crack goes almost all the way to the wall. Any further and water would have leaked into the port. I gave the go ahead to order new heads with a smaller combustion chamber. The stock heads are 76 cc and the new ones will be 67 cc. The cylinders are so clean that they are just going to be honed, they don't need to be bored. I can reuse the pistons if the ring seats aren't worn out and get 9:1 compression with the new heads. Should be getting 325-350 HP with the new Voodoo cam we picked out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

Finally making some progress on getting the quarter panel installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jmbz28

jmbz28 Member

I've been hard at work and haven't posted any updates in a while. The quarter panel is done. I put down a layer of fiberglass filler to fill in the flanged edge and screw holes, it also helped with the warping along the welded edge. The left door panel is welded on. The front fender is fitted and all the body lines line up in a nice straight line. Yesterday is did the last of the filler work on the door edges and front fender. The hood has a coat of primer and I lightly sanded it. It look nice and straight so I won't need any filler on it. Today I spent about 4 hours stripping the weather stripping and cleaning the channels around the t-tops and trunk. They used way too much adhesive on this car. I finished up the day by hand scuffing one of the door jams. I'll start tomorrow by scuffing the other jam and it'll be ready for the first coat of filler primer. I'm going to order new front spoilers and fender vents and get it ready for paint hopefully by the end of the week.

I got a call from my machinist Friday and he's been working on the engine. The decking was off so he took about .020 off. It won't have 0 decking but still increases my compression. I'm looking at about 9.3:1 so that's good. The crank is going to be balanced and polished and everything else should be ordered. I'm hoping to have in back by the end of the week. The cam is a 213/219 @.050" hydraulic flat tappet Voodoo Cam. Can't wait to see how everything looks clean and blasted.

Fiberglass filler. It's a pain to spread but I needed it for that long flange. It turned out a lot straighter than welding and the panel adhesive is just as strong.

[​IMG]

I cut the quarter panel just above the rocker and left enough to weld to. I wasn't going to remove the rocker for the full panel.

[​IMG]

Left side checked off as DONE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the decking after .008. It shows just how far off the new heads are...

[​IMG]

...and some wishful thinking! This is a motor Paul is building at his shop. It's a small block. If anyone needs an engine built, Paul is THE guy. He has engines shipped to him from across the country. He'll build anything from a full on race motor, street/strip motor, street motor, or a daily driver. He knows more about engines than anyone I know, and I know a lot of gear heads! He helped me with my Pontiac 400 before this current build, and he'll be the guy for my future builds.

Here's his info...
    Paul Carter
    Koerner Racing Engines
    You killed it, We build it!
    520-294-5758

[​IMG]

My Pontiac 400...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click for video...

[​IMG]