'79 Z28 Hood Scoop Mounting Stud

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by GoldenOne7710, Feb 2, 2020.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Where can I find a replacement? Apparently once upon a time, before I got this car, somebody used a regular threaded nut on the very front stud. Over time, I assume corrosion seized the nut to the stud. When I trying to loosen the nut, the entire stud came out of the scoop.

So I need a replacement stud and I assume I'll have to epoxy it into the scoop since the threads in the scoop are now stripped.

What size are the threads on the original studs?

2. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Looks like ricks Camaro has the scoop kit. Not exactly what your looking for. But might be able to reach out to them and maybe get some info.

3. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

I put a '80 style scoop on my '77 way back when. When a couple studs stripped, I cross drilled all the fiberglass bosses and the studs themselves, then inserted roll pins to secure the studs. Some epoxy sounds like a good idea in addition to the pins. It worked for me.

4. GoldenOne7710

Forgot I had a micrometer. So it appears the threads for the mounting nut is 1/4 diameter, not sure about pitch...it's 9/16" from the flat middle divider to the end. I would have to assume it's 1/4-20.

The end that threads into the scoop has a tapered self tapping style thread...and it's exactly 1/2" long from the middle divider to the end on that side. The entire length of the stud is 1 1/8" long.

Now...just need to find a source for ONE stud.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you still have the stud...
    Hold it in a vise and take the nut off.
    You can clean up the threads with a 1/4"-20 tap and reuse it.

It's the threads in the scoop that are stripped.
    Epoxy or JB weld should hold it into the scoop securely.
    (You're going to have to use an adhesive even with a new stud now that the scoop threads are stripped.)

6. CaliCamaro75

Hmm can you snap a close up of the stud ... Maybe hold your breath if you want. I just remembered my 75 had some Z28 accessories. Hood scoop, fender vents dash etc.

7. GoldenOne7710

Had to cut the stud to get it out of the hood. Very front stud is concealed to the point that it's inside the hull where the hood latches. The seized nut prevented it from coming out one side while the flat divider on the stud prevented it from coming out the other side. Had to get a belt cutter up in there and cut the stud.

Already knew I would have to go the epoxy/adhesive route with a new stud. There are maybe 3 threads left in the very top of the threaded hole...which will at least allow for the stud to be aligned correctly when I epoxy it in place.

8. CaliCamaro75

I might have some. I have to look here in a few days. When I get back home. I know I have some for the firewall heater core cover. But I also found some shorter ones earlier this week looking for the core ones.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  9. GoldenOne7710

I'm wondering if the same stud is used on the AC suitcase or even the rear spoiler...hmmm.

10. CaliCamaro75

Rear spoiler the threads are shorter I believe IMG_20200126_080702.jpg . Here's a pic I have. I think the ones you need are the left side