'79 Z28 Hood Scoop Mounting Stud

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by GoldenOne7710, Feb 2, 2020.

1. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

It certainly appears you have it. But hold whatcha got...for now. I dug through some of my bolt bins and found a 1/4-20 thread machine screw that it about 4" long. I'm thinking I may cut a piece 1 1/8" and see if I can epoxy the cut end into the scoop which leaves the clean end for a fastener. If I doesn't seem like it will work...I'll be in touch.

2. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

My bolts are just spares now. The hood I had was shot. An the car was a fake Z. So I have them to help others. Im returning my car back to the 75 look with a few slight modifications

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  3. CaliCamaro75

Those are bolts I found with little effort searching my spare bolts from tear down. My car is correct completely stripped down. I'm sure I have a few more bagged somewhere.

4. GoldenOne7710

So...found a $5 coupon to my local Ace Hardware. Went and picked up some JB Weld...had to pay $1.89 difference. I cut one of those machine screws I had and inserted it and screwed it until I felt it catch one of the few threads in the fiberglass.

Had just enough JB Weld mix dabbed on the inserted end of the bolt to just barely sqeeze out of the hole when I bottomed it out. I'll let it set up and see how it feels after it's had time to completely cure.

I appreciate you digging up what you had. Now we know who to bother if a similar need arises. I was sorta freaking out not knowing exactly how I wanted to go about remedying this issue.

5. CaliCamaro75

No worries. Hope it works out. I have to do something similar for my 3 PC spoiler once I get to that point. I'll have to sort my spare parts I've pulled off my car here soon. But yea I've got some on reserve

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  6. GoldenOne7710

Just an update. JB Weld set up and the stud is solid. I even found the original emblem style speed nuts in the Help section at Advance Auto...so a regular nut won't have a chance to do this again.

CaliCamaro75 likes this.