79 Z28 Project Fast Times.........

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaromurph, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Rear Axle Codes

Attached Files:

2. Camaromurph

Got the rear end opened up and disassembled. I put together an axle bearing puller made up of parts from a couple of different bearing puller sets I had along with a steel plate I had sitting around. So much nicer than the noise and anger involved with using a slide hammer.

Waiting on a quote from the powder coater at this point. I got all the new parts on order and most are here at this point. Went with the Detroit Truetac instead of the Posi.

Attached Files:

mrfleet12, [email protected] and SPG like this.
  3. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am getting a rear built, and they suggested a special paint , that comes in either silver or a black, and the black is a low gloss? crap, I forget what it was, paint is much easier to touch up, and the rumor is , if powder coat gets a chip or develops a crack, then water can get under it and start to pop it off because of rust, and I am not careful enough , so I can touch up paint easy, if you are interested I will ask the guys to tell me again what paint they use, as I had not heard of that paint name before, HAA HA and I would think paint is less money then powder coating, I want money for go fast parts, not worried about pretty, persay , for the rear, HAA HA

4. Camaromurph

If you can get the name of the paint that would be great. I’m afraid that the PC quote will come back more than I want to spend during this COVID situation. I was considering painting for speed as well. I can pressure wash it, and paint it without the worry of the blasting media and heat cure that comes with powder coat.
    I could install the bearing race and wheel bearings before paint which would leave me less likely to scratch after.

5. Camaromurph

The new goodies. Still waiting on one delivery but then I should have everything other than the new rear leaf springs. They were a 2 week item so another week and a half.

Attached Files:

6. Camaromurph

Almost got the LH rear frame rail complete. Looks like body color over a gray primer under all the undercoat.

Attached Files:

[email protected] likes this.
  7. dave@ztech

You need to check all of your deliveries now, check for correct studs, correct, axel lenght, and so on, there has been a rash of complaints on here lately with Moser, and others, getting stuff wrong, or, HAA HA, not knowing what we really wanted, and shipped what we ordered, HAA HA

8. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

I find this to be the most common reason when I find threads of people complaining. Like one person with studs in the wrong holes for his rotor.

Side note, I'd be interested in that paint brand. I was on the fence about PC and paint, but there have been a few threads leaning more towards paint from what I have found.
    These projects are expensive, cheaper to do it right the first time than turn around and do it again.

@Camaromurph do you know what gear ratio you're going with yet? not sure if I missed it or not.

[email protected] likes this.
  9. Camaromurph

I ended up going 3.42. For a few might seem stupid reasons.

GM system set up for 3:08 and above.
    1st gear overall ratio was a concern at higher ratios but the difference between 3.08 and 3.42 is 14.05 vs 15.6. Both well above the 10-11 recommendation.
    I wanted US Gear or AAM gears for OEM quality. US only offers 3.55 for the 8.5 these days and while AAM does sell 3.08/3.23/3.42 and above, availability and price of the first two were poor at best.

if get through this swap and am unhappy with the gear choice I can always change.

[email protected] and mrfleet12 like this.
  10. dave@ztech