79 Z28 Project Fast Times.........

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaromurph, Jul 6, 2019.

1. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Steel-it is also great if you plan on welding as it goes right through it, never thought about using it on my rearend but it's certainly something I'd consider it for.

2. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That paint seems real popular with the off road people , will let you know how it looks.

3. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

My helper finished finals this week so on to helping again. Putting the last touches on the front suspension. Installing the Bilstein front shocks. One issue we ran into was the top bushing washer was too large in diameter to fit between the control arm upright and the shock rod. We had to grind the diameter down on one side so that it would compress the bushing without interfering with the control arm upright.

Attached Files:

4. Camaromurph

Still working on undercoating removal. This is my favorite part so far. NOT. Process is hear gun and nylon scraper. Then hit it with goo gone. The process has undergone some development to minimize the work. Now it looks like. Heat gun and scraper, goo gone, heat gun and scraper, goo gone. Once the first round of goo gone is done it is easier to see where the undercoating is still too thick for the goo gone to be effective. Using the heat gun again really speeds up the goo gone process. I think it turns out really nice. The floor pan and tunnel towards the front of the car is how it starts. The driveshaft tunnel toward the back and the left upright is after the first heat gun work. The upright on the right is after the final goo gone step.

Attached Files:

mrfleet12 likes this.
  5. Camaromurph

First trial fit of the BRP headers. Fit is good. The passenger side is tight around the frame and rear lower control arm mount but works. The collector exits under the car at frame height. The driver side has plenty of room. My only concern with it right now is that the collector doesn't exit parallel t the frame like the passenger side does. It is on about a 3.5 degree angle pointed in toward the center of the car. Over the 9” length of the collector the centerline moves inboard by 1/2”. I mocked up a exhaust pipe coming out of it and it will clear the crossmember a little further back. It might make the exhaust system a little tricky as ultimately it is not parallel with the passenger side collector. If I could fabricate a custom exhaust system this wouldn't be a problem but since I will be going with a standard crossmember back X-pipe type 3" system I need to consider this.

***EDIT*** Found out after some more measuring that the driver side collector is also running uphill as it goes back and if I put a straight pipe on it at 3” dia it will hit the crossmember. I have contacted BRP to get their thoughts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  6. Camaromurph

And just a little eye candy.
    IMG_4359.JPG

7. Camaromurph

Powder coated and ready to start going back together.

Attached Files:

[email protected] likes this.
  8. Camaromurph

9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Looks good!
    Exhaust never seems to fit like they say it will.

10. Rudolph Schenker

Rudolph Schenker New Member

Subscribed! Cool build!