79 Z28 Project Fast Times.........

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaromurph, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Yeah, it's thin. It's designed to be that way as you are using it in an area that you don't have the opportunity to do any surface preparation. They want to make sure it can run into any nooks and crannies. Since I had all the holes and flanges sealed up it didn't really drip out on me. When I finished using a hole to put the tube in and spray, I taped it up and uncovered the next one. It was the lower horizontal taped up holes that were interesting after spraying. Once I finished spraying the rails I slowly peeled those lower tape pieces off and let any excess drain down. I didn't want big goopy puddles at the opening. As for dry time, I'm not sure. I think I pulled all the vertical and flange tape off either after an hour or the next day. I used one can to do both frame rails. I bought two just in case. Depending on the speed with which you pull the tube along as you spray will depend on how much you go through.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    [email protected] likes this.
  2. Camaromurph

Well, onward with the frustration. Was assembling the high performance rear drum brakes that will surely tame the LT4's power when I discovered that all the parts houses list the brake adjuster kits for a 79 Camaro incorrectly. I don't know if anyone else has run into it. They all show the adjuster kits changing design from 78 to 79. I of course purchased the 79 versions and struggled for more than an hours to get it set up. I wondered why the parts that came in the kit were different than the ones I took off. Now I know, because they are not right and won't work. The ones that are listed for a 78 and prior look like what I took off and worked perfectly.

And back on the ground.

Attached Files:

3. Camaromurph

One thing I have realized is that this project will now be in 2 or 3 phases. The first phase you are witnessing which will be to get it back up and running with the body as purchased and the interior only functional. The rest will need to wait until I have more time and money. So, onward with the build.

4. Camaromurph

Added some weight to get it as close as I could to normal ride height. Installed the trans yoke fully, pulled it out 7/8" and measured for the driveshaft. Seems none of the driveshaft companies have accommodated the 8L90E trans and the male splined 1415 trans yoke into their measurement forms yet. I will call Strange tomorrow (they are local) and discuss my measurements and see if I can't get my driveshaft on order.

Attached Files:

5. Camaromurph

Finished all the adjustments necessary for the driver side front to rear brake line and vapor return line.

Attached Files:

6. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

Thats how mine is ending up, gotta stretch it out.
    Kind of works out though because the longer I wait, the more likely Holley will have dedicated LT swap parts for our cars. At one point in time I did have the engine and trans but I returned it because I knew at the time it was stupid and a waste of money. (ended up buying a house)

7. Camaromurph

Well, got my driveshaft ordered. Certainly not a straightforward thing. The 8L90E slip yoke is not common. It is a reverse slip yoke. The yoke itself is a 32 MALE spline. I guess that is called a reverse yoke. The other issue is what comes from gm takes a 1415 u-joint. Being there are not alt of these reverse yokes out there just finding a different yoke is difficult. Here is a link to the only 3 I know of. The main yoke is the one that comes in the gm kit. It is the middle one in the picture. The bottom one is a 3R u-joint that I didn’t want to use with the LT4 and the top one is a 1350 Ford yoke which besides the fact that it is a F... yoke, it is actually longer than the gm yoke and puts the U-joint right in the thinnest spot in the tunnel for me. So, I ordered a 3.5” aluminum shaft with a 1350 for the pinion yoke and a 1350 to 1410 conversion yoke for the trans end. If you wanted to make it a straight 1415 or 1410 at the front the smallest aluminum shaft you could do was 4”. If you did steel it could be 3.5”.

https://fortwayneclutch.com/product...ft-slip-yokeshaft-power-divider-sku-23324217/

But wait you say, 1410 and 1415 aren’t the same size, and you would be right. But they don’t make any 1415 conversion joints but they do make special snap rings to put a 1410 u-joint into a 1415 yoke.

So I ordered a 3.5” Aluminum driveshaft with a 1350 u-joint at the rear and a 1410 to 1350 conversion joint at the front. The shaft is 47.875” u-joint centerline to u-joint centerline.

8. Camaro Joe

Camaro Joe Member

Great thread, it will be very helpful when I do my LT swap.

9. Camaromurph

Got the new driveshaft. It's nice (and light). Got it installed and checked a bit of clearance with the new x-pipe and exhaust. With the 3.5" driveshaft and 3" exhaust it's tight in a couple of spots but I have at least a finger of clearance at the smallest spot. I could probably make it more if I drop the exhaust a little lower but with it as high as it will go, it about 5/8" up front by the top of the X-pipe. All other areas are at least an inch.

Went with Inland Empire Driveline. I had experience with them from my 68 with a TKO600 and T56 Magnum swaps. Great customer service and the speed to make it was excellent.

Attached Files:

10. Camaromurph

Next big project is getting the cooling system squared away. I am starting with a mock up. The problem is complex with the LT4/8L90E combo and AC. This is compounded by the being a late second gen. No room in front of the core support due to bracing. I am going to be running vintage air ac. So on the engine side of the core support I need to figure out how to get the ac condenser, supercharger intercooler, and a radiator to cool the LT4. With this I also need a trans cooler and engine oil cooler. And don't forget about the intercooler pump and maybe a little reservoir for the intercooler system. The mock up is necessary as I don't want to invest a bunch of coin in a nice radiator and intercooler and have it not fit. The other added complexity is making sure the radiator isn't so close to the throttle body that there isn't enough room to run the 4" air intake tube.

Attached Files: