79 Z28 Project Fast Times.........

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaromurph, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Saw you were doing an LT4 and said something couple posts ago about Holly LT swap parts.
    I saw online recently an announcement via Hagerty that Holley is starting to sell and talk about them.

Just in case you have not seen this - Thought this might help you some with dims and pics.
    https://documents.holley.com/199r11800.pdf

Your thread made me think of this:
    In January there was a 70 firebird built to look like a trans am with an LT4 at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale - Pretty cool over the top ride and I got to drive it for a bit and think it probably sold for way less then it cost to have someone else build it.
    IMG_3693.jpg IMG_3692.jpg

2. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

The main draw to holley swap parts is all of it working together
    2nd gen camaro engine mounts don't seem to be on the list yet, but they would start with 70-74 then 75-81 (which is a lot less popular so an even longer wait)
    the belt system would be useful, but I believe he already has one.
    We've been keeping our eyes peeled, but right now there are only 4 platforms to choose from
    https://www.holley.com/products/engine_swap_parts/lt_swap_systems/
    1st gen camaro
    3rd gen x body
    jeeps
    2nd gen c10
    Sadly camaromurphy is a bit too far along to benefit from most of holley's parts (some things are still real handy though)

3. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

They always do, especially at auction.

4. BrewInfusedYeti

BrewInfusedYeti New Member

Nice progress! I'm in the process of fitting my 8L90E right now as well, its real snug! I will be making a notch in a similar area that you did. In case anyone else is going through an LT conversion into a 2nd gen - Speed Engineering makes a set of headers for the 70-81 Camaro, the fit is awesome, I went with short tubes + their wires for ~ 275. I can't comment on how they sound yet but they look nice and fit great, they end up dumping further back than stock exhaust from the Camaro LT1.

@Camaromurph - I may have missed it but are you going with PWM fans on your radiator or standard relay fans? I'm hunting down a wireharness and keep getting different info from people, would be helpful to know what others are doing.

5. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Right now my intent is to stick with the GMPP stock system which is two independent controlled on/off fans. I have read up a great deal on going PWM but am choosing to ignore it until after this swap is all sorted out. Most places say you need a stand alone controller from a corvette I think it was. The GMPP harness and ecm supposedly have the ability to control pwm without the external controller just changes in the ecm via hp tuners or the like. The fan motors also need the capability of running pwm as well.

6. Camaromurph

Quick update. I have been making progress but it has been slow. Going back a bit, I forgot to put the boot on the trans yoke when I installed the driveshaft so I took the driveshaft back out and installed it. It cleans up the installation nicely.

I also got my fuel tank assembled and ready to go in. I assembled the Tanks Inc GPA-5 fuel pump. I am going with SAE J30R9 fuel hose from the tank to the factory hard lines at the RH rear frame rail. Talked to Tanks and since I am going to use the vapor return solenoid system on the LT4 I don't need to run a rollover valve. I have the tank and pump vents tied together and will route through the factory vapor return hard lines up to the engine compartment. Since the LT4 will run PWM it does not required a fuel return line so that port in the pump system has been plugged. I am planning to run the fuel pressure sensor required by the GM PWM module at the joint where the front and rear fuel lines come together at the back of the RH subframe rail. I purchased an adapter kit from VaporWorx to adapt the GM sensor to 1/8" NPT. Then I can use standard AN fittings to make the connection to the hard lines. The GMPP PWM module control harness runs off the main harness. They say to mount the pressure sensor as far from the engine as possible. With the length of the harness it puts it about midway back about where the trans shifter is. I need to figure out if I am going to run the harness into the car and mount the PWM module under the console or run it outside up in the trans tunnel and mount it to the trans crossmember. From the PWM module comes the fuel pump wiring harness and will extend back from the module to the tank. If I go inside the car I can then exit up in the top of the rear axle area and onto the top of the tank. If I run it outside from the trans crossmember I will need to run the pump wiring up in the trans tunnel by the driveshaft. This doesn't thrill me but is much easier than running it on the inside of the car. By easier I mean if I go inside, I need to get the harness through the firewall which means de-pinning the big PWM connector and the pressure sensor connector to get the harness through all body piercings without making huge holes.

I also marked up the location for the O2 sensors and removed the headers to get them welded on. Not thrilled that the BRP MuscleRods kit headers don't come with the O2 bungs already welded on. You would think if they developed the kit for everything that where the O2 bungs go would be part of that development. Found a shop that is willing to weld them in for me at a reasonable price that is about 15 minutes away. I taped the collectors, market the position with the O2 sensor while on the car, and then used tape at the end of the collector to mark the angle of the sensor. That is the picture with the tape half covering end of the collectors. The tape line represents the axis of the O2 sensor. Overall I would rate there headers a C. With the angled collectors (not running parallel to the frame), need to install the O2 bungs yourself, these are far from bolt in. The down pipes from the engines to the collectors did fit well based on the position of the engine/trans with their kit. Oh, and I started fitting up the exhaust system from the rear of the car forward. It certainly highlights that I need to get the fuel tank in to set the clearance.

I have spent a lot of time over the last two weeks working with C&R racing to come up with and intercooler and radiator for this application. The late 2nd gens are different than their previous work on the Gen 1 intercooler and the early Gen 2 core support/front end design. The primary difference is that on the Gen1/70-72 (maybe 73) Gen2 the intercooler and VA condenser can mount in front of the core support with ample room to position and space things out without too much worry about interfering with something. On the late Gen 2's with all the support bracing in front of the core support means that the condenser, intercooler and radiator all need to fit on the engine side of the core support. And needs to be as far forward as possible to leave room for the 4" cold air intake tube. This is slightly compounded with the BRP MuscleRods engine mount kit as they position the engine further forward to allow all the trans variants to fit in the tunnel better. I can't complain about this as the 8L90E fit is great but this does present some challenged in fitting everything up front.

Sorry for the lack of pictures but I apparently didn't take s bunch during all this work. I'll try to get some more as I go.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    roadrace2, SPG and [email protected] like this.
  7. BrewInfusedYeti

BrewInfusedYeti New Member

The info you are sharing is super valuable, thank you for documenting this process! I picked up a tanks inc tank with the GPA-6 400lph pump, which is probably overkill for the LT1 but I didn't see an option for the 340lph at the time. From what I have read these pumps are PWM compatible but the info around it is sparse. Figured I'd share photos of the short tube headers I previously mentioned in case anyone is curious. The company also makes long tube headers. For the cost, im happy with the quality. Options are quite limited for genV + 2nd gen still. 20200922_235538.jpg 20200922_235523.jpg 20200922_235507.jpg

roadrace2 and SPG like this.
  8. Camaromurph

Since I have the headers off to get the O2 sensor bungs welded on I thought I would document the PCV oil drain tube I ended up with. Starting at the oil pan:

Holley LT oil pan to factory check valve 90 degree swivel adapter.
    Factory LT4 wetsump drain line sheck valve. Take off from the stock oil pan.
    Holley check valve to 12 AN male fitting. (Comes with the kit with the first item above)
    12AN female to 12AN hose 60 degree fitting. I took this and bent it to 75 degrees as it fit better.
    12AN Raceflux hose with factory heat sleeve off the OEM steel tube. It's nice to reuse something.........
    12AN Hose to 12AN female straight fitting
    12AN male to 12AN female tight 90 degree fitting
    12AN Male to 5/8" rigid tube adapter
    Factory 5/8" rigid tube end (into PCV reseviour) cut between first and second bend and as close to second bend in the straight.

The line is run downhill the entire way as it should be and fits behind the headers nice.

I got the headers drilled and sent out for welding. I really need to buy a welder and learn how to weld..................

Attached Files:

[email protected] and SPG like this.
  9. Camaromurph

Well, always two steps forward and one step back. Felt good to get the PCV drain tube done then I mounted my AC compressor and the rear of the support bracket interferes with the line about 1/8" so I will need to fix that. Worked on getting the fuel tank ready to install. Hopefully it will go in this weekend.

Also started getting the starter and close out plate. The close out plate ended up having a slight interference with the Holley oil pan. Nothing a little notch out on the close out plate didn't cure.

Attached Files:

peteegger, [email protected] and SPG like this.
  10. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice and clean work!! Looks great.