79 Z28 Project Fast Times.........

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaromurph, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Camaromurph

Camaromurph Veteran Member

Filler Neck on and tank installed. Ran the fuel lines over to the hard lines. Where they pass close to the exhaust I have covered them with Raceflux Kevlar heat sleeves. I also used some of their dual line brackets that I mounted to the tank to keep them hose runs neat. I think it turned out pretty good. Bought a new Standt gas cap. You can see that the fill neck isn't perfect. When it was made apparently they got the orientation of the bend and the flap/vents a bit off so when installed the flap and vents don't sit perfectly straight at 12 o'clock. Since it won't effect funtionality I just kept it. Tanks Inc offered to exchange it but I didn't want to wait for a new one to come. Sorry for the crappy pics.

Attached Files:

2. Camaromurph

Got a gift delivered. Here is a preview. Once I get the fuel system finished and the exhaust installed it will be on to this project.

Attached Files:

budro6968 and Gasoholic like this.
  3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I like those line brackets you used on your fuel lines. Looks nice and neat.

budro6968 likes this.
  4. GDSmith

GDSmith Veteran Member

Has the weather been keeping progress at a stand still? Anxiously awaiting your updates.

5. Camaromurph

I would like to blame it on that. I have been spending a lot of time shoveling lately as I’m sure you can relate. Other than that, the garage is heated so the delay is still just more life slowing progress. Still working exhaust and fuel.

I did manage to get the pcv drain redone to get a little more clearance to the back of the ac compressor mounting bracket. Had to shorten the hose about 1/2” and change the an to hose fitting at the oil pan end from a 75 degree fitting to a 90 degree fitting.

after 3 purchases I finally have a fuel filter mounting bracket I think I can make work and I’m happy with. Still planning to put the filter in-line on the outboard RH subframe rail.

6. Camaromurph

Made some progress today. Got the 3" Hooker Blackheart exhaust installed. Well, mostly installed. It's up and the clamps are pulled up. I will just make some final adjustments if necessary when I fully tighten/torque all the clamps. Sorry for the crappy pictures.

Attached Files:

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Clean

8. Camaromurph

Okay, all tightened up. Had some fun making sure the 3" tail pipes had good clearance between the lower rear quarter and the leaf spring. I think with the 4" aluminum driveshaft and the 3" exhaust it all tucked up nicely. I put raised teh body so the rear suspension was at full droop and measured the amount the driveshaft moved down in some key places along the exhaust system. This way when I installed the exhaust system with the weight on the wheels I knew the minimum clearance I would need at full droop and could measure as I installed. As with most early first swap projects, nothing is perfectly easy for the DIY'er.

There are a couple of pictures that show the O2 sensors installed. I think I got the bung positions welded on in just the right place and turned out well.

The RH header would not go in with the starter in place, the starter would not go in with the RH header in place. With the header attached, I took off the starter dust cover and installed it and the starter in combination and that gave me just enough clearance to get it in with the header installed. You can also see in the pictures that while the clearance from the starter to one of the header tubes is 1/2-3/4", the heat shield bracket is right against the tube and will need some custom modifications to work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    [email protected] and SPG like this.
  9. ezetorr37

ezetorr37 Veteran Member

Looking good!! Keep the good work!