79 Z28 Project Fast Times.........

Camaro Joe

Aug 3, 2020
Here’s what I did on my 70, you may find it helpful it looks like we’re using the same parts.

Attachments

• C7656095-EFE8-4DFE-94E3-B27509CCCE98.jpeg
    C7656095-EFE8-4DFE-94E3-B27509CCCE98.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 447FEC78-AB6D-49BC-B46F-387907C49F95.jpeg
    447FEC78-AB6D-49BC-B46F-387907C49F95.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 3A6409DB-6F54-4DF9-99E8-140F789B8061.jpeg
    3A6409DB-6F54-4DF9-99E8-140F789B8061.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 111

Camaromurph

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2018
Naperville, IL
Yes, very similar kit. Thanks for the photos. Problem with the later 2nd gens (rubber bumpers) is there is a lot of front end structure in front of the core support so all the HX must go behind. It is a tight fit. C&R was great to work with for small design changes to get all three on the engine side of the core support.

If you can tell by the photos of the engine side of the core support the condenser and intercooler sit on the front “upper” ledge and the radiator will sit on the lower engine side ledge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 72

Camaromurph

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2018
Naperville, IL
Okay, so minor progress but getting a few things complete. Got the painless interior harness in place. A couple of comments.

It does not have provisions for the electric rear window defrost. In the original harness this was on the same circuit as the power windows and door locks. I purchased the OE defrost underdash harness from AAW. With a couple of connector swaps it can be wired into the painless power window and door wiring for a factory style integration (Plug n play)

also initial observation on the underdash harness is that the passenger side courtesy light wiring isn’t long enough to get to the factory location by the door. Instead it seems to be design to mount just inboard of the center console shining into the passenger foot well. I might correct this or might leave it as is.

The front to rear harness is not long enough to follow the factory routing. A minor change in routing underdash yields the correct length to get all the way to the tail light harness. While not a problem, it would be nice if the instructions highlighted this change. It also does not have a provision for the trunk courtesy light. I will need to make some minor modifications to the dome light connector to add the wire for the trunk light.

Got the fuel control wiring run into the passenger compartment. The fuel pump PDW module will be under the console with the fuel pump and pressure sensor wiring continuing on and back out to the fuel tank from the rear seat area.

I know it is all still A big mess under the dash but it is progress.

also got the brake pedal mounting bracket and pedal back in the car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 60

80sz

sup
Feb 2, 2014
Buffalo,n.y.
Nice, I got a under dash harness but like said it doesn’t come with everything like you would think. I had to splice new into old in a few spots.

Camaromurph

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2018
Naperville, IL
Made a little progress today. Got the brakes finished up. First I want to thank the reproduction industry. I ordered the new master cylinder and brake booster combo from Camaro Central 2 years ago. Got around to installing it this weekend. The Delco stamped booster wouldn’t fit on the mounting studs. The outboard stud spacing was 1/4” larger on the hole spacing on the booster bracket. Apparently they figured the vertical hole spacing was the same for the inboard and outboard booster brackets. They are not. Ground the lower hole 1/4” further down and now I can bolt the booster to the firewall.

on to the next problem. Installed the short pushrod in the booster and decided to check the pushrod to master bore clearance. Almost 0.125” clearance from pushrod to master bore. Everything I have read states should be about 0.020” clearance. So, Amazon had a ACDelco master I could get the next day for like $28. I ordered it. The Delco master to the new booster clearance was much better. I spent a bunch of time measuring the original booster and master I took off the car and determined it was the pocket on the reproduction master that was machined too deep.

Quality of the plated Distribution block bracket is also poor. Already starting to show signs of rust through after 2 years of sitting in the box.

on the more interesting side of things the clearance with the 11” booster and engine cover was tight. I had to clearance the engine cover t be able to get it on and off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: SPG

SPG

Bumblebee Builder
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sacramento
this sounds like a great reason for me to go with hydroboost brakes instead of vacuum

Camaromurph

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2018
Naperville, IL
At it again. Working on getting the mounts for the lower side if the intercooler set in the door support. Needed two 13/16” holes in the core support to put grommets in.

as a reminder the ac condenser, intercooler and radiator all need to tuck up on the engine side of the core support at least on 78-81. There is so much bracing in front of the core support it is nearly impossible to put anything there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: SPG

Camaromurph

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2018
Naperville, IL
Condenser and intercooler in and fit. I had to trim about 3/16” off the top edge of the upper intercooler bracket so it would swing in under the core support. Next step is to fit the radiator. I know a couple small areas will need to be trimmed back as the radiator electric fan shroud makes the combo a bit thicker than stock.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg