79 Z28 restoration & LSX swap

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by OsborneConst, Oct 13, 2011.

1. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had a chance to get back at it on the Camaro today. My shop was out of commission for a week while I had some sort of industrial floor installed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I have decided to use the stock hood, so I removed the factory graphics:

[​IMG]

Since the painter is charging me T&M, I am going to do a lot of the rough sanding, and let them finish with the detail work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found just a touch of bondo behind the drivers door from where it was in a minor fender bender when it was less than a year old. The painter also said that it has a door skin on the drivers side. I started sanding the rest of the rear quarter, and it is all solid steel, no bondo, or rust.

[​IMG]

2. Eighty1Camaro

Eighty1Camaro Veteran Member

I like that flooring, wished I could do that but my garage has a massive crack along one side front to back, too expensive! haha

I like this swap you're doing. I'd like to do it someday even if I do a regular 350 in the meantime.

3. OsborneConst

Thanks! You can see more of the floor if you check out the thread on building my shop in the garages sub forum. The company that installed it filled all of the cracks/ cuts with epoxy, then ground it smooth before installing the actual coating. I have seen pictures where they have filled huge cracks, and they haven't come back. It was pretty expensive. I have done their snow plowing for several years, and I traded them snowplowing for all last season for their shop and the owners house towards the floor. I also saved money by letting them mix all of their left over gray colors from the the past year and not buying new. I haven't received the bill yet, but I think I still owe them about $1800 :eek: I did have them do my attached 24x24 garage too.

It was nice this weekend when I spilled a little bit of oil changing the oil in my wife's minivan, (what engineer designs an engine with an oil filter that angles down so it has to spill when you unscrew it!)and it just wiped off the floor with a rag, and didn't leave any marks or residue.

4. ls1jorge

ls1jorge Member

Shop looks nice!

5. OsborneConst

Thanks! It's been a long time coming, kind of like the car!

6. OsborneConst

Had an extra hour tonight, so I went out and sanded on the roof. If I had my compressor plumbed through the shop, it would probably go faster. I can only run the D/A at about 55 PSI to keep it from squirting water out. Right now I just have a 90ft hose hooked to it.

[​IMG]

I also have a slight dilemma on having it painted. My old boss has wanted to paint the car for years. He actually wants to buy it. ( if you've read the whole thread, the 2nd owner that I bought it from was my old boss's brother.) he can lay down some really nice paint, and would do it at cost, if I help him with it. He also has access to an $85,000 paint booth that is 13'x 27'. He is actually buying it and installing it in his shop, but is still able to use it where it is at. I'm not worried about the paint part as much as I am the body work. He does really nice body work too, but this will just be stuff done at night and weekends, and I don't have a lot of time to help. The guy that I am already scheduled with is a professional body/paint guy and is very high end, and does show car quality work. (The 67 firebird convertible that is in his shop right now has between 30-35k in body work and paint) I have no doubt that my car will come out flawless from him, but if I could save 3 or 4 thousand it would be nice. He has done around 15 second gen f-bodies, so he knows his way around them too, so it might be worth the extra to just have it done too....

7. SOD

SOD Veteran Member

Awesome. I found a lot of useful information in this topic.

8. ls1jorge

ls1jorge Member

More like you gotta love it bro lol, Im just collecting parts for mine then by end of this year or early next year ill get motor & trans for mines.

9. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Is you car a DBW or DBC?

10. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you crazy doing all that sanding?! you are going to get your floor dirty :eek:

$3-4k is a lot of coin so it comes down to a few things that are very personal...

What do you have for savings or disposable income? ( don't answer!). If you have kids etc. and need to pay for college or braces is the money better saved for that or perhaps retirement if no kids....

What is the real difference you are going to get in quality and will you always be second guessing yourself if you do it with your ex boss and wonder if it would have been better by the other guy.

Sometimes when people do a favor they go over the top to get it right because they don't want to let you down, sometimes they don't do their best work because it is at cost...what kind of guy is he?

If time is important and the pro will give you a hard date and you trust it what is that worth?

If you go nights and weekends can you set a firm schedule and date for completion with 30 day slippage max? OR does it have the possibility of never getting enough attention and stretching out too long and then having to go to the more expensive guy anyway and having hurt feelings with your old boss.

What is the total price the pro is charging? $30k? I would spring for the extra $3k. Less than $10k I might look to save the $3 or $4k.

Lastly, if your ex boss does it and you get a nick or scrape he will probably fix it up for not much. If you get that ultra high end paint job and you get the smallest scratch or nick you are going to be freaking out and won't be cheap to touch up

....a slightly less than perfect result is sometimes better then pure perfection, less emotion tied up in it and pretty much only you or a show car judge will see the difference.