'79 Z28 w/ 383 stroker

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Edem_Alive, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Edem_Alive

Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I found these two babies about 1.5 hrs from my house. The guy wanted a little more than I wanted to pay for both of them, but when I went to check them out, the maroon was in nearly perfect condition. The maroon was owned by the original owner until 2005, when the guy I bought it from got it. It is in very very good shape. Little to no apparent rust. It appears to have been in a garage for the entirety of it's life. The yellow one he got in 2011 and it needs work. It will mostly be for parts.

Old yeller has a unknown 350 in it and an auto transmission. Maroon has no engine, but has a manual tranny. The maroon was originally a 350.

VINs are (maroon) 1Q87L9L574429 (yellow) 1G1AP89J0BL158202.

I plan to strip the maroon down completely. Sand blast the bottom and coat it in bedliner. Strip the paint with disks and then do all the body work needed to make this baby look like a queen. I'm going to try my hand at doing a professional paint job and block it to get super straight panels and perfect jams.

The engine I'm going to strip down and rebuild and put into the maroon until I've enough money to get something better. I will probably build a 383 or 396 Stroker out of the 350. EDIT 1-19-16: I am going to try to track down the original engine and transmission. If successful I will do a complete restore, otherwise it will be a resto-mod.

Not sure what I'll do with the interior. It is in great shape, but I think it's ugly on the inside. EDIT: SEE ABOVE EDIT. OTHERWISE IT WILL BE 100% BLACK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. loyal guardian

loyal guardian Veteran Member

hey brother what part of montana? im in helena. great projects there!

3. Edem_Alive

I'm in Plains

4. loyal guardian

thats not horribly far away

5. Edem_Alive

Nope, Cars are in C-Falls. Hopefully this weather lets up so I can finish moving them.

6. loyal guardian

i know!. you have a private message.

7. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to the madness!

8. Edem_Alive

Well, I picked up the cars over Christmas. I've never loaded a car on a trailer so it was an interesting prospect. Loaded them with two come alongs and an extra set of hands. Unloaded alone, which was pretty scary! We had about a foot of snow and ice.

Strangely, everything went off without a hitch. Got her into the garage and started tearing her down. I have found only one quarter size hole of rust in the floor and nothing in the panels. Anyone have tips for painting the interior vinyl?

Also, those doors are very heavy and awkward. Anyone have plans, or know a company who makes a specialized cart for them for painting?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. loyal guardian

glad you got them home brother, they look good. they have door carts that im sure you could modify for paint. alot of guys ive seen on here use sawhorses to paint them.

10. Edem_Alive

Got a little more done last night, but wasted hours trying to figure out how to get the trim off the doors and windows without ruining it. Guess I'll have to search around for some info.

Found a few very minor rust spots.

The sticky adhesive they used to stick the bottom layer of carpet down is a pain to get up. Anyone have tips ? I was using a wire wheel but it just heats up and smears around.

The trunk is full of the stuff. I'm not sure if that's how they came from the factory or if it was done after.

If anyone wants to buy a sun roof in good condition I would part with mine. I'm going to put a patch over the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone know what the funny line on the right is?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016