81 Pulse/Delay Wipers

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by KMcHale, Feb 23, 2019.

1. KMcHale

KMcHale Member

Just installed a new pulse wiper motor and windshield washer pump. Turned the key to the run position to test and it worked fine. Turned key off. Wanted to change the wiper blades so turned the key back on and then turned on the wipers and nothing happened. Flicked the switch up and down a few times and they finally came on. Waited till they were in the middle of the windshield then turned the key off and changed out the wiper blades. Once the blades were installed I turned the key back to the on position and the wipers dropped back down to their recessed position. Now I can't get the wipers to work at all. Strange thing is that if I depress the switch to activate the washer motor it works just fine. Aren't the wipers supposed to come on when you depress the washer button? I have yet to check the fuse but I am thinking that if I am still getting power to the washer motor that I would be getting power to the wiper motor. Could it be possible that the switch is bad? How should I go about troubleshooting this?

2. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

I think the motor and pump share the same power source. The power wire (yellow i think) is spliced at the motor to feed the pump as well.

3. KMcHale

KMcHale Member

Update: Was searching threads here and found a thread about wiper arms and just going out there and jiggling them to get them to work. Well guess what went out there jiggled them and they started working. Sometimes when I turned them off I could turn them right back on again but other times I had to do the jiggle thing. Disconnected the wipers from the motor and tried it and the motor worked perfectly (High, Low, Delay/Pulse). So I am guessing the wipers are not allowing the wiper motor to return to it's correct start position so I have to do the jiggle thing to get it to start again. I also noticed that the wipers don't go to their recessed position when turned off. Guess I have to do a little searching to see if there is a thread about setting up the recessed wipers. Also I noticed that there is a lot of play on the shaft of the new motor (more than the shaft on the old motor for sure) wondering if I just need to return this motor but like I said when it is not hooked up to the wipers it works fine.

Anyone out there ever have a problem like this?

4. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Silly question but have you done this with the engine running and the batter charged?

5. KMcHale

KMcHale Member

Engine was not running but battery has a good charge. Will start the car tomorrow and try it again if you think that is the problem.

6. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Swap out the motor

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

Yes if it works better then swap out the wiper motor ... be careful there are two a 1 wire and a 2 wire unit. I believe the 2 wire is for 79 and earlier and the 1 wire is 80 and newer. In either case get the one you have.