81 Z28 LS Swap, Let the fun begin questions

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by 70-SS/RS-L78, Apr 23, 2017.

1. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Badazz under your hood really looks Great!! Everything is neat and serves a purpose. How much clearance do you have between the hood and the top of the engine in your car and did you use the Holly motor mounts? The engine I have is a Lingenfelter 383 Stroker and it has the 853 heads on it and I'm not exactly sure what was done to them, It also has a Lingenfelter Cam; The guy I brought the engine/car from is supposed to dig up the build and dyno sheet for me, The engine was ordered for street use and was put into a 2000 Vette which was totaled. I did some work on the car so I had a chance to drive it and it pulled real hard up to about 6K RPM between gears. I also got the PCM and harness. Hopefully he will dig up the dyno sheet and paperwork this week, I should have stayed on him about finding them when I brought it...Thanks...
    Mark.
    I like this cowl setup..
    http://www.detroitspeed.com/Projects/ronnie-buhr-1969-camaro/ronnie-buhr-1969-camaro-pg-1.html

2. gray86hatch

gray86hatch Member

These cars are worth more LS swapped. I cut up my car with 31k on it because it was worthless stock. Used holley amd hooker stuff. Vintage air was less than fixing the stock system and retrofiting it to 134a

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I'm using Detroit Speeds motor mounts. Before I was using the Ebay version. Same thing except the DSE are aluminum versus steel. There is plenty of hood clearance, but I would have to measure to get the #. I would guess atleast 4".

The 853 heads are the older LS1 cylinder heads. In stock forms they flow a weee bit less then the 241s. If they are ported, they perform really well, but not as good as the 243s.

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I used the BRP swap mounts, dirty dingo acc. brackets and everything work as advertise.

One question for you, why fight with the 200r4 when a 4L60 or 4L80 can be put in with less of a hassle.

5. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am using the 2004R for a couple of reasons, It is a direct fit without altering anything, Plus I have one under my workbench with a new converter that was rebuilt and beefed up by a friend so that is money I can spend somewhere else. I have also been working on my 70 SS and nothing on that car is cheap, OEM parts for a 1970 Camaro SS are becoming really scarce and when you do find what you need the seller wants an arm and a leg plus your first born. For instance I am looking for a throttle cable bracket for a 70 SS L78 and so far the cheapest one I have come across is $450, The cost to restore a early Gen-2 Camaro has gotten out of hand and completely took all the fun out of it. If not for the fact that I am doing everything myself and I have 99 percent of the original parts or the NOS stuff I collected 20 years ago I would not even attempt that restoration.
    Mark

6. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I could be proven wrong, but I'm thinking you will still have to cut the drive shaft to be able to use the 200r4, that is the only real mod. you have to do to be able to use a 4L60/4L80 trans.

Having 2 already built trans is a plus, and can't fault you there. Just be aware that the 200r4 isn't a direct bolt up.

Believe me I also understand the pain of restoring 2 cars at once, that is the main reason my 71 RS/SS is on the back burner until I get finished with my 73 Formula.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yup, that 200R4 will NOT directly bolt to an LS engine. In fact that converter will probably not work (I don't know for sure, but you should research). The modern trans is not only easier to get working with the end, but I bet you can sell the 200R4 and have some pocket change after buying a modern auto.

In defense of "arm and a leg" sellers of original parts......I'm on their side. All these people restoring these cars especially 1970 SS Big Block cars complain about expensive parts, but why are you looking for original parts? Increased Value huh? You can't build a car and be meticulous because you know its six figures and growing car and expect the parts to be cheap. People aren't dumb. If I had some rare parts and I knew a completed car that's all original is worth big bucks, I'm not giving them to you cheap either.