911 problem with belts throwing

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by spav350, Aug 1, 2014.

1. spav350

spav350 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I made it on a two hour trip in 4 hours cause i threw 3 alt belts and finally the ps belt was thown due to damage from the alt belts hitting it. Im two hours from home and dont know why their throwing. Pulley alignment, too tight? Pulleys look in line and i thought i was too tight but if i back off the belt squeels. Im lost and stranded for now. On vaca but need to figure something out before we head back. :(

2. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Grab some new belts, put them on and watch it while it runs. Rev it a few times. Something will stand out. Watch for any signs of wobbling from any of the pulleys (including the crank pulley- a board member started mysteriously throwing alt belts a few weeks ago and finally his crank pulley let go and exited the vehicle). Check for cracks on the pulleys or signs they are bent. Check to see if any mounting brackets have broken (they can look OK at a quick glance but be cracked all the way across and just "flopping in the breeze" under load).

While you've got the belts off check for play in the alternator and water pump shafts. Not just side to side but in and out as well.

Good luck with it. That's a tough situation being away from home but these types of things are usually easily solved with a little observation and detective work.

3. spav350

Thanks for that. Ill double check everything.

4. ssenay72

ssenay72 Veteran Member

Make sure you have the correct top width on the belt also, if it rides too high in the pulley or too deep it could be an issue. All your pulleys should have the same groove depth also. I had an alternator mount that kept loosening on me once. Check all those bolts and spacers.

5. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check the big balancer bolt.

6. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Just park it . Flying , twisting belts can cause some damage .

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

Well, you COULD park it, if you're into being on vacation semi-permanently wherever you are.

I think you can fix it wherever you are. I have the highest faith in you. BTW- Sears, Lowe's, etc. sell COMPLETE tool sets with ratchet, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. for silly-low prices. It's Chinese crap, but more than enough to tackle front end accessory work on a simple SBC in a remote location.

Don't wimp out and call a flatbed. You CAN do this.

8. spav350

Pulley on alt was off alignment. Back in business yesterday afternoon. Still had fun and have a story to tell now. Thanks for everyones advise. I actually carry various hand tools in a small tool bag for whatever happens cause you never know when youll need them for you or someone else. Thanks again everyone!!!