98 k1500 fuel pump how do I know which one?

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Alright so the 98 z71 I bought a couple weeks ago is in need of a fuel pump in the near future. It is right in the bottom end of the pressure range it should be and is bleeding pressure off when you turn the truck off. After all these pumps were never known for being great and this one is the original 20 year old pump so its due. My question is everyplace shows two different acdelco pumps available for this truck with the 5.7L. Without waiting for me to pull the old pump how do I know which one I need?

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
I looked on my GM parts website for work. I don't have the vin so I get a lot of results but I don't see how they are different in the notes, each one lists the same RPO code. Maybe with the vin I can narrow it down, but maybe not. If you want to send it to me I can try but it will be late tonight before I can get back to it. You can try calling the dealer to get the correct OE number by vin and cross it over to the Delco.

Murphy's law says no mater what you do it will be the wrong one once you take the truck apart :)

ZEN357

Veteran Member
Feb 12, 2018
Call Jegs or Summit Racing, they can help you sort out which fuel pump you want.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Whatever you do don't buy an Airtex pump they are junk. I went through 3 of them from Rockauto, they replaced them all. I bought one from AM auto for $49 bucks and it run great.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Whatever you do don't buy an Airtex pump they are junk. I went through 3 of them from Rockauto, they replaced them all. I bought one from AM auto for $49 bucks and it run great.

Nah not a job I look to do more than once so I will go back with the acdelco even though it costs more. I plan to drive this truck for at least 5 years daily driver and I have no doubt it will make it that long. The only flaw I have found on it so far is the latch for the cd compartment on the overhead console is broke lol. I am working on what changes to make to make it look less old manish, the bug deflector is already gone. lol I plan to pull the fiberglass running boards to but I am gonna wait until my car lift is up and running to tackle that and the fuel pump. Thinking about switching up to later model takeoff wheels to but haven't figured out which ones yet.

20180709_181400.jpg

Knuckle, PM sent

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
And don't buy a spectra. Last fall I had replace all of fuel lines on my 93 k1500 and since the tank was old too I change the tank. got a complete unit from spectra-sender and pump and everything. Pump lasted one day Spectra told me to go pound sand.

Put a delco in I got at napa, problem solved

I got the entire tank assembly from Amazon pretty cheap. I would buy that again but I would change the pump before even install it.

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
Unscrew 8 bolts, unplug the taillight harness, disconnect the filler tube and get three friends to help you slide the bed back a few feet to easily access the pump.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Yup, pull the box of the truck, makes for an easy job of it. Wow, that a clean truck.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Thanks for the link champ but it didn't narrow it down at all. They show both part numbers MU1745 and MU1752 for it searching by the vin.

Latest posts