98 truck engine. (vortech??)

motorhead76

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2008
MT HOPE WV
Are all the truck motors in 98 vortechs? If so a guy has 350 in the local trader for 350 bucks that needs a rod bearing. Has 90,000 miles was thinking of getting it for the heads. If it is a roller motor that would also be a big bonus as I could use the roller parts and just buy a new roller cam and put every thing in my 92 engine with the new bottom end.

motorhead76

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2008
MT HOPE WV
Thats tottaly bitchin. How can I check the heads to make sure they are in good shape without hearing it run? Do a compression check for sure. But if the motor is out I cant see if there is oil in the water water in the oil ETC.

motorhead76

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2008
MT HOPE WV
atleast the heads would work. think mine is setup to but Im gonna have it apart so Ill look. Exactly what would I be looking for? I do know its a 4 bolt main and is setup for a mechanical fuelpump as well.

AJ_72

Veteran Member
Jul 3, 2003
Chebanse, IL USA
Just make sure the bolt holes are drilled in the top of the lifter valley for the retainer spider, the lifter bores have a flat machined surface around them, and the holes are drilled for the front cam retainer.

Basically it will look like this.

2796_1_sbl.JPG

RS1970

Veteran Member
Sep 1, 2011
Washington
Check your local pull a part yard. You should be able to get a complete long block for abut a $100.00. Then you just strip what you want & save $$$ for the new gaskets you will need . And you can tear as many as you want apart before buying.
Just a thought. Good luck.

motorhead76

Veteran Member
Oct 16, 2008
MT HOPE WV
I think $350 is high for a motor with a rod knock. I asked if they would come down any they said 325. I dont know if its worth it. I would probably want to get the heads reworked anyhow wouldnt ya think.