A 1404 having trouble, far from home :)

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jemeah, Oct 21, 2009.

1. jemeah

jemeah New Member

Hey

I have a 1974 Firebird Formula with 400 engine backed by a turbo 350. The thing is that birdie is living 5000 miles from its original home, in a country called Turkey, and helping people oh knowledgeable people is nearly nonexistant here around.

Here is the problem which is preventing me to drive it daily.

The car has a stock 400 with stock internals and 4X heads. Only modified items are Performer Intake and 1404 500 cfm carb.
    Symptoms:
    1. Each time I crank the engine, even when it is hot, a black cloud is rising from the tailpipes.
    2. While cruising, when I go pedal to the metal a burst of black smoke is rising from the pipes as if I were driving a diesel.
    3. Man it is gobbling the gas. And the gas prices here are nearly 4 times of what I should pay in the States.
    4. Guzzles the gas but no performance.
    5. Also hard starting is another issue.

Some local mechanics said that the jets of that carb are big and that are pouring more gas than the engine needs that I should change them with small ones. But they did not mention anything needles or other parts.

I suspect that some gearhead have previously changed those jets in the quest of some performance gain but messed up the tune.

Dear friends I would like to hear your opinions and experiences cos there are no one here to help.

2. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I ran a 750 edelbrock on a mild 400 pontiac and it ran great. A 500 is extremely small, smaller than stock by a lot.

check your timing! I don't see any mention of timing which means it probably hasn't been checked. Check initial and total timing (need a dial back light or timing tape)

You should not be rejetting a carb if it has stock jets, just to get it to run

If your timing checks out fine, and for some reason you really want to run that tiny 500 cfm carb, check the float height and drop down specs against edelbrock's instruction manual (obtainable online from their site). The float specs on these carbs seem to get out of whack pretty easily and can cause flooding potentially

3. docwilcar

docwilcar Veteran Member

Agree with 77 TPI. Float level is too high, debris in your needle valve and seats, or carb passages are plugged up with debris. These are easy carbs to take a part and clean and adjust. A stock 600 1405 carb, which is the same as your carb except for a little richer jets and rods from the factory has .100 primary jets, .095 secondary jets, and .070-.047 metering rods and would work fine in your combo. I would bet that someone has been into the carb and screwed something up, probably the float settings.

4. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

5. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

I would tend to agree with the above comments that it's not a matter of jetting, but an issue with something being out of whack/gunked up inside the carb somewhere. Being off by 4-5 jet sizes won't cause the kind of severe symptoms you are experiencing.

6. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Debris in the needle and seat, causing it to flood?

7. Show7d3

Show7d3 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Too much fuel pressure will cause flooding. It should be 5.5 lbs max.

8. jemeah

jemeah New Member

thank u guys ;)