a bit upset

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by americanhandy, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. americanhandy

americanhandy Member

Buyer beware: if you are planning to purchase a Howards Cam for your next build I would recommend you think twice or if your having someone else build your engine get the warranty in writing from the builder don’t expect Howards to stand behind their Products they will find an excuse not to replace it.
    Simple fact if you run an engine through break-in and tuning then get 50-60 miles trouble free no issues with the engine valve train or anything else the engine was assembled correctly.
    If the link holding the lifters in place breaks “roller cam” You can’t blame the builder it was a defective product that downed a $12,000. Engine not the builder.
    It’s not surprising to me that a company as big as Howards Cams wont Man Up and accept some fault they have a reputation and a profit margin to uphold.
    In short: to HOWARDS CAMS scrue you the donkey you rode in on I will make a point to bad mouth you on every board I can find every motor head I talk to if I dissuades one person from your product I’ll be OK with that.

If you're searching for allegations on the complaint, take a good look down the page to see that improper installation was the problem, not the parts. -POS71RS and friends

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2012
  2. americanhandy

americanhandy Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a quote from the engine builder from another board:
    The pics. are after we got them out of the block they were in the block right the wear was from when it broke the lifter turned he was driving the car when it happened. I talked to a couple people and heard that Howards does not make there lifters and they also had issues. because they say it was a lifter issue and they do not make them it is not there issue. Wish they would have said that before this. Also after talking to the shop the parts came from he said " Let me guess they are finding a way to not take the blame so they don't have to stand by it" ,this was before I told him what they were telling us (witch was it is not there issue they don't make the lifters)

3. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From the looks of the cam, I'm not sure it mattered, but isn't the arrow on the link pointing the wrong direction like the lifters were flipped over and were entered into the wrong lifter bores to make the arrow point up?

4. Odin

Odin Member

I saw that also. It certainly looks wrong now.

5. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

Something else is wrong in that picture, does anyone else see it?

6. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

I'm looking hard at Howards for my upcoming build...I couldn't help but notice the damaged areas of the lifter valley wall from what appears to be caused by the broken cross link...which in my eyes confirms the lifters were installed wrong...

if this were my engine, I'd be blaming the builder...

[​IMG]

7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup, I noticed those scuffs on the block also.

8. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Veteran Member

I agree, For those mark to get there they were installed wrong.

9. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

See, now I was assuming they had been taken out and placed in the wrong bores for the picture, ie, left/right swapped. But the scuffs on the block... :screwup:
    .... oh duh... I didn't even pay attention to the 3rd yellow ring... that must be where the end of the broken link was sitting...

And considering it was the front-most lobe that's trashed, and it appears the roller on the lifter on the right in the pic... those two would line up and further explain the damage.
    Good catch fellas... I think the builder screwed the pooch on this one.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  10. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've really been thinking bout a Howard's cam. I'm unsure so ill ask. If the lifters were upside down how would that cause them to break. Will they not pivot enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.