a bit upset

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by americanhandy, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Lifters where absolutely installed incorrectly... I was helping a buddy of mine assemble his 454, I was "playing" with the lifters (howards roller), identical to the ones pictured. Anywho, I had unknowingly flipped a pair upside down and installed them, he caught it before I even took my fingers off of it..

I'd show those pics to your builder again and tell him to cough up some labor and parts...

2. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Look at the first pic.. On a bigblock the lifter bores are staggered. the left is closer to center than the right. Installing them upside down puts the right closer to center, essentially putting the pair in a bind. When I screwed up, the lifters installed tight, but never went fully down as they where not lined up properly.

3. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

notice the bends in the cross bar above, this is for a reason, to accommodate the offset of the lifter bores shown in the above photos...when the lifters are installed with the bar upside down and not "up"...pressure points are created on the bar from the bar buttons on the lifter causing undue heat, stressand wear which leads to premature failure...this can also be noted if you blow up the OP's photos...notice the groove cut into the bar at the button area...

4. Odin

Odin Member

I bet he didn't think this post would turn out this way! It's good the correct party is getting the blame.

5. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Howards uses MOREL lifters just like everybody else. Howards did not manufacture that lifter. Just thought you should know that. It seems as if you think a comp lifter would not have failed. Actually I try to avoid comp at all cost. If I buy a shelf cam it is lunati. Most of the time for only a couple dollars more a custom ground cam is the best way to go. But as far as the lifters go most of comps lifters ARE THE SAME MOREL lifters that everybody else sells. After looking at those pictures I have to agree with the others. Your builder screwed up plain and simple and he should be coughing up the money and labor to fix what he screwed up.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  6. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

I'm looking at just HOWARD'S name.
    How did it get upside down?
    The only way is the builder put the lifters in wrong.
    You can't do that on a BB. You can on a SB.
    He should have noticed the name being upside down, and the way it fit in the lifter bores.

It even says UP on the connecting link.
    Your builder owes you a few new parts and a refreshed motor, with you helping inspect the motor as it is assembled.

And YOU owe Howard's a big apology too.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The lifter wasn't installed upside down. Upside down would mean with the roller tip facing up. The correct term should be, is swapped into the incorrect lifter bore. The L lifter was in the R bore and the R lifter was in the L bore.

8. americanhandy

americanhandy Member

Ok the arrow was pointed the wrong way, But if you can get a set of BBC lifters in upside down when 7 of the 8 sets are correctly placed you’re a magician BBC lifters can only go in 1way.
    The lifters dropped in the sockets nicely the lifters moved freely up and down manually turning the engine over by hand with on spring pressure on them so it was figured the link was stamped wrong, there is no difference in the thickness of the link on either side of the slot it worked smoothly and freely, besides the guy that assembled this engine I have talked to other engine builders and all agree that you can’t put 1set in wrong, since my mishap I have herd of 2 other occurrences of the same problems.
    This is a quote from the engine builder from another board:
    The pics. are after we got them out of the block they were in the block right the wear was from when it broke the lifter turned he was driving the car when it happened. I talked to a couple people and heard that Howards does not make there lifters and they also had issues. because they say it was a lifter issue and they do not make them it is not there issue. Wish they would have said that before this. Also after talking to the shop the parts came from he said " Let me guess they are finding a way to not take the blame so they don't have to stand by it" ,this was before I told him what they were telling us (witch was it is not there issue they don't make the lifters.

9. gregh

gregh Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'd be interested in hearing the builders explanation for the scuffs on the block.

10. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah... I think the builder is full of crap, and trying to cover his butt now. That's a pretty big chunk of evidence to overlook.

If you mean what I think you do, I think you're wrong. -Try this, take a pair of the lifters, lay them on a table, with the link-bar facing you, pointing up or down. Take the lifter sitting on the right, and swing it counter-clockwise and up.
    Take the left lifter, and swing it clockwise and up. Now flip the assembly, and voila, your 'inverted' link will now fit your engine right side up.

And honestly, if you got one wrong set (assuming you couldn't reverse them as I explained above) then I would have contacted the manufacturer to ensure there wouldn't be further issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.