a bit upset

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by americanhandy, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odin

Odin Member

American Handy - Look at how the link is bent. The arrows are there to ensure the lifters are turned properly to mate with the cam lobe surface. The link is bent wrong for the lifters to be installed in those holes. The rollers weren't parallel with the cam and rapid wear occurred until the catastrophic failure of the link.

I'm sorry you had this problem.

2. 1971SS

1971SS Veteran Member

there's a reason for that arrow...and a reason it should be pointed up...

notice the angle of the bends of the two bars...the one on the left shows the creases of the bends closer together at the bottom of the bar, and those creases are angled for a reason too...this is the offset that's built into that bar for the staggered lifter bores..when you or your builder installed the lifters with that bar flipped, it disturbed the offset and caused problems...

[​IMG]

3. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Veteran Member

I just did a comp cam retro fit of a roller cam and lifters in my 468, It says in the instructions that the arrow must point up and the cross bar facing the valley, They are made to work only one way and you had it crossed and it broke, I think you owe Howard's Cams an apology.
    It wasn't their fault at all. Install error.
    I am sorry for your mis-fortune.
    When installed with the arrow pointing down the geometry is wrong plain and simple and not the way it was designed to work.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm a little confused by the term "upsidedown" being used to describe what we're seeing.

I think I would say that they lifters were reversed from there proper locations in the lifter bores of the block. In other words, the lifter that should have been installed on the intake lobe of the cam was instead installed on the exhaust lobe of the cam which would them put the lifter that should have been installed on the exhaust lobe on the intake lobe.

Because that happened the roller of those two lifters were out of alignment with the cam's lobe surfaces = carnage!

Those lifters didn't jump out and move from one lifter bore to the other by themselves. Whoever installed them screwed up ROYALY!

ASSUMING that the builder assembed the engine (including the valve train) HE is responsible for it and should be bending over backwards to make things right with you buy rebuilding what parts that you can salvage into a new motor FREE OF CHARGE to you.

5. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Gods country in the beautiful Sierra Mountains of
    Because the link was installed incorrectly the lifter wheel was not 'tracking' the lobe of the cam. The cam was toast before the link failed.

6. KEVS79

KEVS79 Veteran Member

You would have thought if the pics were sent to Howards they would have pointed that out. I know absolutely nothing about roller lifters and that is the first thing I saw when I looked at the pics. That was before everyone else pointed it out. I didn't want to state the obvious since I really knew nothing about the subject.

7. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

You have to wonder with the lifter set installed incorrectly and the resultant cam wear why the owner never noticed a lot of valvetrain noise long before the tie bar broke......

John

8. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Can you install the pair of lifters with the brace on the block side? I was also wondering when the pair are not in the block bores can you flip the roller lifters in the brace to swap up and down?

9. Mr.Bill

Mr.Bill Veteran Member

They can install with the brace facing the cyl, But that isn't correct, And yes you can flip them around, They always mount with arrow up and the brace facing the center of the engine so the lifter tracks on the cam lobe right..

10. americanhandy

americanhandy Member

pics. were taken after the valve train was disasembled and set there for the pic. the gouge in the block was from the link binding aginst it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.