A Bunch of Old Motors Books

silver81

Veteran Member
Mar 8, 2008
Western Wyoming
I recently acquired a ton of old motors and chiltons books from a local shop that closed up after 30+ years. Way too many titles to list here. I am particularly interested in finding a home for labor estimating manuals before I just bring them to recycling. I have a bunch of the repair manuals for sale or loan in my parts store but I don't think anyone wants labor estimating books. They would be freebies to anyone interested but for some shipping. I really hate to throw out old books like these but they might just be dinosaurs that have outlived their useful life. I can put up some pictures if anyone has genuine interest.

budro6968

Veteran Member
Apr 2, 2016
Jax Florida
My uncle gave me a crash book years ago. He wanted to teach me about estimating. Do you have some mid 70's to 80's with GM cars? You could scan some of the ones you like for keeping on your computer. Then Dump the rest and not feel like you threw away good stuff.

john Gialanella

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
Bloomfield N.J.
I am not surprised by you not getting any responses. For the last few years, it seems like you can climb Mount Everest before you can sell anything on Nasty Z-28 site. I guess most members have fully restored Camaro's. I have been trying to sell parts, but no luck.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Bought one locally yrs ago.

B33C01E4-7BC7-4EF1-80E9-4B3FAD433E45.jpeg

Itsadryheat79

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Posting public here cuz I want to encourage others on here that books have value.
I'm interested and passionate about collecting and reading automotive books.
Especially anything Camaro related for 1st and 2nd gens.

The best NEW thing about these old books - not having to listen to corny tag lines or waiting for the SKIP commercials button lol.

I'd be happy to pay shipping to AZ 85340.

silver81

Veteran Member
Mar 8, 2008
Western Wyoming
My uncle gave me a crash book years ago. He wanted to teach me about estimating. Do you have some mid 70's to 80's with GM cars? You could scan some of the ones you like for keeping on your computer. Then Dump the rest and not feel like you threw away good stuff.
so each book encompasses a year range and includes all models within those years,. I have a 1983 chiltons which covers 77-83 all makes and includes labor hours and part numbers for each operation. Also part costs are listed which is kinda interesting too.

Then I have a Motor book which covers 76-81 all makes including labor hours, part numbers and exploded views. also an interchange guide in the back too which will tell you what gm divisions used a specific part number.

I have pictures on my phone but I need help from my IT dept (wife) to get them posted from there. I'll try to get them up in the next couple days.

silver81

Veteran Member
Mar 8, 2008
Western Wyoming
Posting public here cuz I want to encourage others on here that books have value.
I'm interested and passionate about collecting and reading automotive books.
Especially anything Camaro related for 1st and 2nd gens.

The best NEW thing about these old books - not having to listen to corny tag lines or waiting for the SKIP commercials button lol.

I'd be happy to pay shipping to AZ 85340.
We might be able to work something out. There's probably 150-200 lbs of these estimating manuals plus I have crates and crates of repair manuals too, more than I will ever likely sell locally. What scale of books are you really interested in?

Itsadryheat79

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 4, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Please send some pics and we can work this out. That many pounds of books will likely need to go truck freight in a shipping crate. I don’t have a dock but have things like this sent to me via UPS truck with a drop gate so they can push it with a pallet jack. You might want to check around you and see what works best for you. I also have gone to pick real bulkier heavy stuff up at a shipping carrier near my zip with my flat bed trailer that they load with a fork lift.

Latest posts