A/C Compressor Power Question

billkrz

Veteran Member
Apr 25, 2015
Waynesboro, Va
The A/C compressor in my '73 Type LT will not engage unless I jump the compressor with a "hot" lead. Then it works fine.
The fan works ok so I know there is power to at least that portion of the system.
Can someone tell me how the compressor receives it's power?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

billkrz

Veteran Member
Apr 25, 2015
Waynesboro, Va
I think I may have solved my problem. Power goes to something called a Thermal Limiter Fuse Switch located on the rear of the A/C Compressor. Power goes in but does not come out. I just ordered a new one. Fingers crossed!
Bill

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Good Luck!

I looked in my Haynes manual but it doesn’t have the A/C schematic for a 73.

I see that switch on the 74 diagram but I don’t know if the two years had the same A/C system.

I know there were quite a few changes over the years and some compressors had one or two switches which my 80 doesn’t have at all.

Vettenick

Vettenick
Jul 17, 2019
Make sure that your system is fully charged. That's the purpose of that switch, to protect the compressor.

patroll

Veteran Member
Nov 23, 2009
Jackson,S.C.
I'm a HVAC mechanic , a few things that stop the compressor from coming on are low refrigerant the low preasure switch breaks the power to the compressor , the thermal limit fuse your describing . I switched to 134A and 48 - 50 ounces is all you add . 80% of what it was when R12 .AND OIL. Sounds like you have it .

Latest posts