A/C ducts

Discussion in '1978 - 1981 Specific' started by Macsouthcarolina, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

Dash is out and I can now access things better.

Do I need to have power and vacuum to make everything work or will vacuum alone function everything?

where can I find vacuum hose the same size as factory. Smallest I’ve found is 1/8” and the factory fits inside it.

Attached Files:

2. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

Pulled the heater box to replace the heater core while I was this far in. Think I found the problem. Vacuum hose that goes inside the heater box On the top by the back actuator had disintegrated. All actuators worked. No idea how you could replace this with the heater box in the car.

The heater box had a corner broken so I bought a refurbished one from theParts guy.com. Also bought a replacement dash since mine was in bad shape with a wavy cap on it. These vacuum hoses got expensive quick!

Attached Files:

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Did you find a source for replacement vacuum lines?
    I've seen some harness type kits available from various places but nothing specific for our Camaros.

4. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

Yes, forgot, to add that. I also ordered a used replacement vacuum harness from thepatysguy.com. Cost $40.

I think if I’d had to I could have gotten by using the 1/8” tubing I had. I would push The original tubing Inside of the 1/8”. Thought about maybe even putting a little rtv sealant around the connection

5. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

More parts! The heater box And vacuum harness I ordered Came in today. The box looks fantastic, came from the thepartsguy.com. Gaskets should be here Saturday, hope to get the box back in the car Sunday.

Attached Files:

6. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

Oh and this ended up being the culprit on my vacuum leak. This vacuum hose goes down into the box and connects to the inside back of the actuator on the firewall side of the box. Turns out my harness was ok, so now I have two

Attached Files:

7. Twisted_Metal

Wow... That box is in GREAT shape! :cool:
    It looks like a NOS part. (Or nicely restored.)

Glad you found the vacuum leak problem!

Keep that vacuum line harness... They aren't an easy thing to find.

I hope to be tearing into my HVAC system this month and it's nice to know there's a board member with an extra one on hand!

BTW... Did you get my PM about removing the heater box?
    (I was having trouble sending it from my phone while on the road.)
    Did you need to remove that lower, engine side stud nut from under the car?

8. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

I did get your PM. Your suggestion to put the vice grips on the Spinning stud worked like a charm.

I was able to get that lower stud loose from up top. I put a wobble on the socket, used 2 extensions and a stubby ratchet. I took my Left hand and reached between the firewall and the ‘ear’ of the evaporator box And got my fingers on the stud. I took the ratchet contraption and put it below the ‘ear’ and found my fingers which I then used to put the socket on the nut. No sweat after that. I tried to take pictures but couldn’t do it all by myself. I’ll try and get a good shot of it when I put it back together.

9. Twisted_Metal

Thanks for the "wobble" and extensions tip!
    Your description is very good.
    Don't know if pics would tell me any more than that.

I removed that nut from under the car the last time I did a heater core but I have a different exhaust system now and I'm not sure it's accessible that way anymore.
    (It was a total PITA from under the car but I didn't see another way to reach it at the time.)

10. Macsouthcarolina

Macsouthcarolina Member

Heater box back in, vacuum lines hooked up, temperature control cable Hooked. Paint the new dash tomorrow.