A/C question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 72ss4me, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

[​IMG]

^ That is definitely leaking at the front seal. :(

My A6 did that forever and I finally got tired of recharging and watching the mess accumulate on the hood and everything in the plane of the clutch.

I went with a polished Pro6ten compressor.
    (They have them in chrome too now.)
    upload_2021-6-6_16-40-40.png

They fit the original A6 brackets and you use factory style hose/manifold connection.

I'm not familiar with a door in the A/C evaporator box.
    I know these earlier years have a very different system (electrically and mechanically) so I'm not much help there.

Something causing the door to stick was my first thought.

2. 72ss4me

72ss4me Veteran Member

Thanks. I'll try to get you some pics on Tuesday. Had to paint my deck today, not fun.

3. 72ss4me

72ss4me Veteran Member

Okay, here's the latest. I had my wife watch the diaphragm for the plenum when I did the A/C thing. It didn't move from the activated position. then I tested the diaphragm with the might vac. it was weird, it contracted, partially, but the mighty vac didn't register vacuum? Anyway, I looked at the spring not he plenum door and my spring was very light. kie a carb secondary spring or something like that. I looked around in a bin of extra parts I had from putting the car together over the 2 year period. Lo and behold, I see a spring like yours. What the heck, I put it on and wouldn't you know it, the thing works perfectly, just as you described. Frankly I'm amazed cause the spring is really tight. So, much thanks.
    I have three pics to post: the new spring, the green and white wire and the hose coming from my air cleaner, which I think goes to the upper left front port on the quadrajet. Comments welcome.
    Also, now I have to address the freon issue. I was thinking, open the low side port, test to see if pressurized. If not, disconnect and put all new o-rings in the fittings. Add a few ounces of oil to the compressor and refill with R 12. Or should I bring it someplace, have them test for leaks, evacuate it and have them refill it?

Attached Files:

4. 72SS9681

72SS9681 New Member

Good to hear, glad I could help. I couldn't believe the diaphragm could over come that spring ether.
    Re: the hose from the air cleaner I think your correct I believe it go's to that port. Should have constant vacuum. The hose go's to the little valve inside the air cleaner and opens the door in the snorkle when the engine warms up.
    Still at a loss on the green/white wire. Nothing like it on my car and don't see it on the schematic. I guess look at where it go's into the harness and see if you can find where the other end comes out and check with a meter to verify.
    On the A/C if it still has a partial charge someone with a leak tester could probably check the system and tell you were your problem is, you can also add dye to the system and check with UV light. As for charging the system unless you can borrow gauges and a vacuum pump you may want a shop to recharge it. Unless you think you'll use the tools in the future your going to spend several hundred dollars for the tools. If the system is leaking your supposed to have a certified tech evacuate the old refrigerant. The process really isn't that hard its just a matter of having the tools and a basic understanding of how the system works.

72ss4me likes this.