a/c to non a/c

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by camaro79Z28, Apr 10, 2010.

1. camaro79Z28

camaro79Z28 Veteran Member

was wondering if someone could help me out here, I converted my 79 Z28 from an a/c car to a non a/c car, was wondering if anyone had an open shell where they could give me the measurements of the non a/c vents that are cut in the inside of the firewall for ventilation, I need the distances from side and top of both sides, I do not need the size of the vents for I already have a set of vents, just need 2 measurements so I know how far from side and top to start my cuts, any help would be GREATLY appreciated! :bowtie: all the way

2. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

It's a lot easier to just get a non-a/c blower box and put a patch on the firewall
    to cover the areas that the non-a/c box does not cover. You also need to
    mod the non-a/c box to accommodate the lower heater hose and blower
    resistors. You also need a Non-a/c blower cage for the blower motor as the
    a/c cage is too long by about an inch.

If you just mod the engine side of the firewall, then there is no need to
    change out dashboards, vents, or heater control switch (interior stuff).

I did this conversion on my '78. I can send you some pictures. All you need
    to mod the firewall is some flashing, JB Weld, and a pair of tin snips. Ditto
    on the mod for the lower heater hose. The non-a/c cars had a different
    firewall, and the heater core had outlets in different places than the a/c cars.

You really don't want to go with a non-a/c heater core unless you are
    into pain.

3. camaro79Z28

firewall has been already sectioned, non a/c stuff is ready, I want the measurements so I can put the vents in on each side of the inside of the firewall, just need measurements so I can cut the vent holes so everything will line up with the dash vents, thanks

4. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

Sounds like a ton of work. Either way. NPD has a deal that bolts on the a/c firewall but doesn't have the suitcase. 160 bucks. Thats the way I'm gonna do it.

5. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

You made a good decision, I did a AC to non AC conv on my 74 LT and the AC delete box fit like a glove with heater pipe holes pre-cut as well as the cut out for the blower motor and fan assy. It was worth every dime!

6. camaro79Z28

does anyone have measurements they can share with me???

7. Camaro11

Camaro11 Veteran Member

I don't think that you need to cut the firewall at all. You only need to replace
    the box in the engine compartment. There is one rectangular hole in the firewall, and one round one for the blower motor to suck fresh air from the cowl.
    The airbox on the inside uses flex ducts to direct the air to the dash vents/lap vents.

When you say 'non-a/c stuff', what do you mean ? No mods are necessary
    to the interior of the car, just the blower box in the engine compartment.
    It sounds like you are doing a lot of extra work for a fairly straightforward
    changeover.

8. camaro79Z28

the outside of the firewall has been replaced with a non a/c firewall, I NEED THE MEASUREMENTS FOR THE FRESH AIR VENTS ON EACH SIDE OF THE COWL, 1 ABOVE THE STEERING COLUMN AND 1 ABOVE THE HEATER BOX ON PASSENGER SIDE the kick panel pull knobs top 1 each side opens and closes these vents, this is found only on a non air car!!!, this is nothing to do with the heater box, that part has been done, there is a vent on each side of the cowl on non a/c cars, well if you had a car with a/c there is no vents!!! I need the measurements so I can install my vents so the kick panel upper vent cable will open these vents, I am trying to explain this, there is nothing to do with the conversion of a air car to the non air car, once again firewall already replaced!!!

9. camaro79Z28

heres a link to what i am talking about, scroll down and you will see the vent holes 1 0n passenger (rectangular) and 1 on the drivers side to the left a little of the steering column (rectangular) pics from spoonLT1355

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180257

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

Sorry about that bud. I have ac and a non ac car but the non ac is still a driver so I don't think I can get the measurments with the dash and stuff in. I would like to help if I can.