A couple of interior questions

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by RickM, May 3, 2021.

1. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Working on my 81's interior. Test fitting the quarter panel cover and it seems like it is just held in place by the sail panel on top and the sill plate on the bottom. Is this correct?
    My cover has 2 holes in it but when I put it in place there does not seem to be any matching connecter/hole on the body. Pics below show the holes in the quarter panel cover.
    WP_20210503_16_17_21_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20210503_16_17_07_Pro[1].jpg

2nd question is what is the purpose of these metal pieces, one on each side, that are on the floor pan next to the rear wheel well. My rear seat buns are not installed do they have something to do with them?
    WP_20210503_16_16_21_Pro[1].jpg

On the picture below right behind the metal piece is where one of the holes are on the quarter panel cover I referenced above.
    WP_20210503_16_15_50_Pro[1].jpg

Thanks
    RickM

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen cars that did have the screw, and some didnt. I think the factory workers didnt care too much. There should be a screw at the top, that goes into the rear seat divider (or maybe it was panel?). Then a slightly lower hole that also helped hold position. But mostly it was the sail panel. (Add jute between the wheel well and the panel - it will cut down on a lot of road noise if you care about that. I did a layer of second skin, then jute, then closed cell foam... and its still louder than I want it to be.)

The metal clip you are showing, I think that was to keep the quarter panel from drifting in too much. I will have to check, I dont remember for sure, but I think it should be inside the panel (hidden), not outside (visible).

3. RickM

RickM Veteran Member

Well I went through my old pictures and found a couple of shots when I took the interior apart, probably 10 years ago. But I found a couple of pics of the unknown metal tab that sticks up from the floorpan by the back seat belt retractor. Still dont know what its purpose is but it appears when I took the quarter panel cover off it was outside of it, you can see it in this pic (lower right corner circled in red). Guess it will just be one of those mysteries that never get solved
    RickM
    WP_20210505_11_57_11_Pro.jpg

4. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

The tab circled in red goes into a slot on the back of the panel to help locate the panel. The slot was just a second layer of plastic that the metal tab fit in between. My 70 has them. Your panel may not have it. Sorry I don’t have a photo of it to share. My panel also has a screw located higher on the wheel well to hold it. Hope this helps.

5. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You can drill additional holes if needed .And or use velcro as well. Just think outside the box at times.