a real 77 z28???

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by blue1978rs, May 18, 2012.

1. FunBobby

FunBobby Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Another possibility is that your car has some "dealer add ons". Things like the different style door side molding would be added while it sat on the dealer's lots...things like that have led some to believe in "factory original" myths. :)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

Sounds like a good possibility, they have been on a long, long time. The edge guard on the drivers side has split down the middle from age, fine for a 10-footer. For retirement in 6 years, (if I'm lucky) the burnt orange color will be re-sprayed with the same (or close to it) and might even do something a little off like color match the window trim minus body side moldings for example :)

3. ruffis

ruffis New Member

Photos of my cars

I have tried several times to upload photos but the site is locking up my computer and sending me back to the upload screen. Wish it would work!

Yes it was a true black Z28, it's sold now but I still have the silver 77 Z. I also have a 76 Camaro.

4. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

It's best to host pictures on Photobucket or another site and just link to them...

5. ruffis

ruffis New Member

One nice ride!

That sure was a nice ride! It looks like the 77 I have now.

6. ruffis

ruffis New Member

Thanks

7. Adam G

Adam G Veteran Member

Great story.

I was 19 in 1982, so only a couple of years older than you. I remember these cars when brand new. They definitely carried a reputation as “fast” performance cars for that time. Most of us, me included, were trying to put 4 barrel carbs on our “wanna be muscle cars” and would have loved to have had one of the new Z28’s.

I can still remember my friends mom (yes mom) brand new ’80 white with red decal Z28. For some reason, she bought a car like that for her daily driver. She was a “young mom”, if you know what I mean. He had a lot of fun taking that car out when she allowed.

There just wasn’t a lot of new muscle to be had back then. The mid ‘80’s changed all that.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  8. severum17

severum17 New Member

I think you are incorrect. Blacked out moldings were part of the Z package.
    It was not an option.

9. Pro-touring84

Pro-touring84 New Member

77 Z/28?

I just picked up a 1977 2nd gen. I'm trying to find it if its a Z/28 though. It is a cali 350ci car. The biggest thing I'm having a problem with is the fact that it was once totally gutted to be turned into a racecar and then it was put back together with whatever parts they could find so I have no idea on trim or anything because its either missing or could just be what they found. I know it was an original 4 speed car, has the big spoiler, has front and rear sway bars, can't find a build sheet. Can I get more info on the top-of gastank build sheet. Like do I have to pull the gas tank to see it or is it visible/feelable another way? Also hood and grill were replaced. It does have chrome trim around tail lights. But that's it for trim. Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

10. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

The gas tank has to be dropped. But if it looks like it's been out before save yourself the aggravation/time. Have you checked for the aluminum spacers (search the forum for this, there are pics of what you should see) on the front bump stops? That would be a good indication it is. But if it was gutted at one time chances are the Z specific parts are long gone....and there went your proof.