Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.
Very good work!!!!
Didn't get anything done on the Camaro but got the compressor line finished with the drains, the filters installed and the compressor on its mobile base. Ideally the compressor would be bolted to the slab but my garage does not allow for it has to be move-able. I will secure the compressor to my workbench when it's in use however. Getting all the lines installed to my liking took more time than I expected, but this was a critical step of the project.
I will spray using the top filter and do everything else using the bottom filter. I need to run a line over to the hose reel for air tools, which will be easy. I also need to hook up the electric line. After that I can switch over the new compressor and start spraying, among other things.
For anyone interested, the paint filter is the Devilbliss QC3, the air tools filter is a water filter and regulator from tptools.com, the hose reel is a Cox Reels, the hard line is Rapidair Maxline. I connected the QC3 to the Cox via a hydraulic line from Northern Tools.
Aaron, looks very professional. I like the blue pipe system. Have you fired the compressor to break it in? My friend bought an IR and it really vibrated and walked even mounted to the factory pallet. Maybe you can use a ratchet strap and get it tight enough to secure it. I'm going to try to change the oil in mine this week.
Thanks Russ, I am happy with the system. I especially like that there won't be any chance of corrosion inside the line. If I ever need to add to it or modify it then it's quite easy.
I have not turned it on yet but the thought has crossed my mind. Apparently this two-stage compressor is pretty smooth, but I might have to remove it from the base and go to plan B. It's secured with grade 5 bolts to the mobile base, which is a bunch of 2x4s sandwiched in between two sheets of 3/4" plywood. So it's secure but that might not be enough if the thing vibrates too much. Even if the thing runs as smoothly as a Prius, I would devise a system so I can strap it to my workbench.
So I got the air compressor system all working yday, which is nice. The extra capacity is really great to have.
I spent time stripping the wheel wells to spray this week and prepped the firewall for another few coats of epoxy primer. I decided to install the 4-speed hump so I could spray epoxy primer where I will be cutting. It will be more efficient to just spray all these areas at once.
I posted this in the Body forum, but I am unsure if the placement of my aftermarket 4-speed hump is too far to the left or if that is correct. I am using others' measurements as a guide.
As you can see the top is level in that position, which I would expect.
I pulled out the rubber boot and the plastic bezel to fit it on the 4-speed hump and everything looks good. The boot is positioned a little rightward and the plastic bezel angles toward the left to compensate for the hump being installed left-of-center.
For future reference, here are a few posts that have measurements for factory location of the hump
I am sure there will be some slight adjustment needed when everything is installed but I will be able to install the hump tomorrow.
Nice progress you have going Aaron. Keep going! Saw that picture of dremel disc hit your (thank god) face mask, that was really close call. I think I need to use face mask also when grinding now on
Since I saw that I have been very careful to make sure I am using a faceshield as well as hearing protection when using a grinder!!
+1 adding a dust mask at a minimum. I use my PPE from work so I kinda of over do it, but I've seen damage (that pic with the grinder disk in the cheek)
gloves (nitrile under work gloves)
I forgot about the dust mask, that reminds me that I need to go and buy some more!