Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the advice.

What do you mean by "make sure your panel edges are 100%"?

2. 76_TypeLT

Got some work done on the doors. If you are thinking about painting your car black....don't do it :) This has definitely been a lot of work and I think will look good in the end. But it's been a whole lot of sanding and buffing.

The most frustrating part has been despite taking necessary steps to eliminate dirt when sanding, I still get stray scratches from some renegade spec of dirt or trash. So I get to resand those little scratches and re-buff.

The fenders should be more forgiving as I sprayed those much better than any other panels. I am not sure if I will (or should) sand and buff any of the smaller pieces. My gut feeling is "no".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Codemonkey17

Codemonkey17 Veteran Member

Those panels turned out extremely well. Only hope when I paint mines half this good and I will be happy.

4. 76_TypeLT

thanks Brad, I am sure it will. There are little "boo boos" here and there but that's life. I re-sprayed pretty much every panel, some of them because I had to and some to just get a deeper finish. So it helps to have the extra material to work with.

Looking back I now understand when some others said not to stress the tiny specs here and there. This car gets dirty just looking at it since it's black. So as I go along I might find some stray dirt specs but I am over it. It's all about getting it to the point of being a really nice driver.

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aaron, that is looking absolutely amazing! Once I get my garage sorted out from the move, I'm going to get the compressor I bought off you up and running and start practicing so I can try and paint my car myself. It is going to be a daily driver so I'm not going to be too worried about it having a mirror finish but if I can get it even half as good as yours, I will be extremely happy!

6. 74_Camaro

74_Camaro Veteran Member

Those doors look great!!

I can assure you that when you step back and look at the whole car and stop focusing in on a 1/2 inch spot that it will look great. My car is black as well and it doesn't have nearly as good as a deep finish as yours does, but still shows well for a driver. There's many small imperfections that I see but 99 out of 100 people would never see. A nice coat of quality wax will shine it up even more!

7. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

In the end it will all be worth it Aaron. Looks great.

8. 76_TypeLT

Thanks guys, always appreciate the words of encouragement

You are on about most people not knowing what to look for in a paint job. My wife and relatives thought it looked great before I began sanding and didn't understand why I was doing anything else, which was kind of them to say. But at the end of the day these projects are about us and what we want out of them. We make adjustments as we move along and sometimes reset expectations, or we will go completely insane.

9. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Too late on the insanity part. We are all that way already or we wouldn't be here. LOL. Paint looks awesome. I am not surprised.

10. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

checking in and everything looks great!! keep it up!!