Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 76_TypeLT, Aug 1, 2008.

1. jester0618

jester0618 Veteran Member

I'll look closer at painless for mine. AAW does lack a tad in instruction depth, but once they are separated into sections, goes pretty easy.

I went to Painless' website. Very impressive set of instructions. Shame that at the price, that the window/door lock harness is an additional 250 bucks. Makes for a $1000 kit. AAW isn't very clear on whether it's included.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  2. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i went with American Autowire. i think around $200. i just have to pay my friend a few buck and beers to connect it all.

3. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

I can take a look later on today and see if my AAW harness includes the power windows.

4. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Painless kit is definitely not cheap, there is no question about that. :eek: If I am not mistaken, AAW requires the harness to be constructed, whereas the Painless kit is already built and essentially mirrors what would have gone in the car, down to the wiring color, etc. One kit isn't any better than the other, so just pointing out the biggest difference between the two. AAW has the benefit of allowing the customer to create a truly custom install. Painless kit assumes you are doing an OEM-style wiring install, which is probably the case for most people.

I am happy to take any detailed pics of the Painless kit for anyone who needs extra info.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. Jas0n

Jas0n Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the info about Painless vs. AAW: I'm in the (mental) process to decide which choose..

6. 76_TypeLT

Sure, glad to help. I can only speak in depth about the Painless kit but will be honest with the feedback, not just because I bought it. ;)

7. 76_TypeLT

I've been piddling around but wanted to share a few pics of some pic-worthy work.

I got the fuel tank pump and sender unit wired up at the tank so I can get the tank installed and plumbed.

[​IMG]

I had to swap out the lower control arms so I could use coil overs. I went ahead and swapped out the upper control arms with some adjustable SPC arms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. 76_TypeLT

I am taking off next week so I hope to get a lot done. The immediate plans are to get the fuel line installed and get more wiring/electrical installed. That would leave me with the brake lines as the major mechanical item left.

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

OOOOO, i like that tank, I thought about buying an aftermarket tank, and probably could have with what ive spent on fuel pump, filters and sending unit. How much was this bad boy, if you dont mind me asking?

10. 76_TypeLT

I bought it from another member here who used it very lightly, so I did not buy it new. I paid ~$900 shipped (it was in the $900s), which included the pump and sending unit. You can modify a new OEM tank with a quality in-tank pump for $400-500 all-in ($150 for the tank, $250 for the pump, $40 for a weld-in recess). I still need the filter/regulator and all the lines/fittings. So you probably spent way less than me and got a tank that is as functional as mine.

I fully admit I bought this tank because it's pretty sweet, not because it was necessarily a great value, lol :D It's a Rick's Tanks brand tank, fyi. It was also a custom made tank that's been narrowed.

Spectra and Tanks Inc make 74-77 fuel injection ready tanks, among other companies. 70-73 and 78-81 are pretty easy to find.