Aaron's 76 Type LT Project

John Wright

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 9, 2002
Rustburg, Va
I wanted to wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope everyone here is doing well!

What's the saying? Life comes at you fast? That describes the last three years ever since our house flooded from Harvey. I completely shelved the 76 project, which I estimate is 90% done. It's such a shame because up until Harvey I had great momentum. But I know it will get done. Kids, family, etc all became more important priorities. I'm preaching to the choir though.
I hear ya buddy!

MAV Fam

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 21, 2010
Friendswood, TX
Good to see you back. We came very close to flooding in Harvey ourselves but got lucky in the end. Personally my projects have been slow due to starting a new business but have actually got a little done on the 79 recently.

Hopefully see you around soon.

I wanted to wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I hope everyone here is doing well!

What's the saying? Life comes at you fast? That describes the last three years ever since our house flooded from Harvey. I completely shelved the 76 project, which I estimate is 90% done. It's such a shame because up until Harvey I had great momentum. But I know it will get done. Kids, family, etc all became more important priorities. I'm preaching to the choir though.

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
It's been awhile since I posted. Firstly I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their 2nd gens! Time continues to fly by, especially with two young children who are active in just about everything. My son is almost 7 and my daughter is 5. The wife and I focus tons of time on the family, which is a great thing. We love being involved parents and love watching our kids grow. But it means no real quality time for the 76. With that said, I am setting my pride aside and talking to a restoration shop about finishing up my 76 project. I have let pride keep me from doing this but reality finally set in that time is only going to be in shorter supply, so I need to consider farming out the remainder of the project or just hang it up. And I don't want to really hang it up. What's left isn't really the most fulfilling work but also something I cannot do an hour here or there. Nothing is final because this shop might come back with an unreasonable quote. Anyway, I wanted to provide an update. I'll admit, I am a little excited thinking about the idea of the 76 possibly being done (or drivable). Reviewing my "done" list and my "wish" list has given me a renewed sense of interest that I have not had in quite some time.

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
Glad to hear from you, Aaron. Even if you need to put your 76 on ice for the next 10 years, don't sell your car. Finishing her up will be a nice father/son/daughter project. You may get another Camaro down the road, but you'll never have the kind of history through thick and thin that you have with your current one. Keep us posted and welcome back (again)!

ChevyReb

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
SC
Been there done that Tee-Shirt baby! I'd say mine was on on/off 16 year affair between raising boys and coaching football and baseball and other projects along the way... it took a long time! If you can shorten the time to drive it and can afford it that's the way to go IMO. Glad I built my whole car...BUT, I could have been driving it a long time ago. You only have so much time.

Last edited:

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
I made my to-do wish list to give the guy tomorrow. It's almost all labor, for whatever that is worth. They could hit me with a huge price and the idea falls apart. I honestly have no idea what to expect from a price perspective. There isn't any body work involved, it's all mechanical, and fairly basic at that (no fabrication, for instance). From a psychological perspective, I am trying to prep myself for a $10k number (which is arbitrary). I am not telling them what my budget is because I really don't have one (I know what my limits are, I am not going to pay whatever they hit me with). I need to see a number and then process it as a function of the time it would require for me to do all the work I am requesting.

Re: the idea of time - that is exactly where I am coming from. I'd have to take off multiple weeks with ZERO distractions to get the 76 finished, which is possible but very difficult given all the other commitments we have to our family, church, work, etc. I have a 9-5 job + a side hustle (which is my choice), mainly because the wife and I have some pretty aggressive "retirement" goals. I know one thing for sure - I have dumped more money into this car than it's worth! :D

And to be clear, me not working on my Camaro is 100% on me, nobody else.

Last edited:

Latest posts