Above ground vertical wall, treated or regular wood?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by tom3, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:22 PM.

1. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Need to put a privacy wall on one side of the deck. Looking at 6 ft tall, 1 x 6 staggered vertical slats. I'm seeing that treated wood is pretty much sold out everywhere here in all lengths. I'm wondering if regular wood with good deck stain would last? Be vertical with a top plate and inner and outer slats separated by 2 x 4s.

I put a new floor on the deck 5 or 6 years ago, treated wood, and it's pretty shabby already even with a good coat of stain. Will standard wood rot like this?

Opinions?

2. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

A wood floor vs vertical wood is two different animals, as far as weather wear. How much fence are you erecting? Since you are stick building it, I would buy a quality solid wood stain and coat all pieces even before you assemble your sections. Yes it’s more work, but if you do it like this you will have that fence for the rest of your life.

Zstar likes this.
  3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cedar with a good wood stain.

The cedar deck floor at my house is over 20 years old and shows no sign of rot.

I give it a coat of “Duckback Superdeck”
    every 4-5 years.

A solid stain for vertical surfaces will work well also.

(Don’t bother with Thompson’s Water Seal, unless you like doing it every year.)

It depends upon what you want it to look like and what your house trim/siding look like too.

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Whoa. Treated wood is cheaper than white or yellow pine. But everything is sold out around here. Unavailable. Weird times now.

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I built a dog pen a while back used mostly pressure treated. The Termites here didn't care. I used one piece of pine non pressure treated but painted it on all sides. That was the only piece the damn Termites didn't mess with?

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

If this is to keep the peepers from looking in, another idea would be build a frame, metal or wood and use shade cloth. It is easily replaceable when it deteriorates. If it’s for a sound barrier then a wood structure would be better. Just a thought.

7. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

I wouldnt hesitate to build something off the ground with un-treated wood. My place in the mountains is all T-111, the main house stuff is circa 1976, the addition and shed are circa 2007, and all is holding up well with a solid color stain on it. My deck on the other hand, the stain held up ok for 5 years, which if you look at a can of stain, it usually says 5 years on decks, 10-15 years on siding.
    New pressure treated wood is horrible stuff anyways. almost worthless imo.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I use the cheapest fence slats from Home Chico with a good 3 coats of spar urethane for the gates I build. Holds up well.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. Guy up the way likes to come out and sit watching my wife and I sit on the deck on nice evenings. Creepy. One in every neighborhood but that's a drawback of living in town. A six foot wall would put him on the roof to see over it.

10. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I think treated wood is mostly for ground contact use, to resist the bacteria in the first foot or so of dirt. The copper compound they use doesn't seem to prevent sunlight from breaking down wood, from what I've seen. Up in the air, not in contact with the ground, stained wood seems to hold up better for me. Also, I don't think the copper compound is as good as the old arsenic compound from 20 or 30 years ago. Just my observations from what I've seen of my projects around our house.