access door in trunk floor for a tanks inc efi conversion tank.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Brian, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

I "don't" know that Tanks Inc does own or make the tanks, however the appearance of the same tank and internal tub is suspiciously similar no matter who is making it. I am only guessing that they are being created by the same supplier.

2. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

now this would work but my trunk floor is nowhere as flat, especially where the pump would be:(

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

that’s a good thing and something you want so if you ever need replacement parts, you’re not struggling to do so.

4. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

I couldn't really find anything at vetteworks.com, seemed more like a restoration shop? I did however come up with a vetteworks.net? I see they sell a weld in mount for a 4th or 5th gen pump assembly, would this be what your referring too? what are the main difference in these two pumps if I may ask.

5. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

Sorry, seem to have changed site url...
    https://vetteworksonline.net/

Look for “engine conversion parts” section on left....
    Then “fuel related”.

If you are remotely handy...you can do it. When I did it back in 2013, all they sold was the mount for the 4th gen bucket. I had a local welder make the recess in my new tank. They now sell a recess you can weld in yourself. The 5th gen bucket will fit much better but you need to mod it (easy). There is a 5th gen bucket for sale right now on ls1tech, with mod to fuel pressure done.

The 4th gen is big, barely fits in my 78 tank BUT has the correct fuel pressure regulator. 5th is smaller, fits with no issues but the fuel pressure is a variable of some sort. You need to put 4th gen FPR on 5th..maybe something else too cNt remember exactly. Both with allow you to not baffle your tank and work flawless all the way down to 1/8 fuel level.

6. reedld

reedld Veteran Member

7. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

well yea as long as the darn thing works and doesn't need replaced every year lol. I first wanted to mini tub my car though I had already bought some of my suspension parts (many years ago). Looked at DSE kits and they didn't want to break up the kits too much. I also saw that they were using a narrowed tank of sorts ( I think ricks tanks at the time.) fast forward a few years and there seems to be more available for the early 70's model but the 79 doesn't get as much love. Couldn't even find a EFI tank let alone a narrowed one or one with the corners lopped off. Now you can find the EFI tanks all over but not narrowed. I put a nix on the mini tubs just because the total cost involved just to have bigger tires didn't seem that friendly. If I'm ever going to get this thing done before I die, I have to cut back on what I dream about and what I realistically can afford and accomplish. I agree that Ricks tank are super nice and I can't really remember every reading a bad review other than the cost. I mean a regular stamped tank for a SBC is not even pocket change compared to Ricks tanks. You would think after all these years, someone could come up with a cheaper solution that worked well. I see these new EFI tanks by the dozens now with all the same design so I was hoping they had made a cheaper solution to Ricks and one that would work without having to do fab work. I mean it's a camaro for crying out loud (I know, not a 69) and LS swaps are anything but new. Now I'm hesitant.:screwup:

8. badazz81z28

Ricks stainless tanks are custom made for an application. It takes time to TIG one of them up but the end result is superior. The modern GM modules are also hundred of dollars. It’s not cheap to play, but if you want quality you gotta pay. DSE use to fab their own tanks, but they outsourced now so I’ve heard. If you’re taking the time to do an LS swap, you might as well make sure it’s done right. If mini tubs are at all in the future, get a narrowed corner notch tank now

9. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

I wouldn't argue that fact. Just wish they made this for a 79 Ricks-Tanks-69-X-body-with-pumps-pn16091_26091.jpg

10. badazz81z28

It’s best to call Rick or Hector.