access door in trunk floor for a tanks inc efi conversion tank.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Brian, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Zoomin

Zoomin Veteran Member

I've used Tanks, Inc products 5 times now, all EFI except for one - and my next one will be from Tanks, inc. They fit well, and for the money I like the quality I get. I've never had any fuel starvation issues, but then again I seldom let my fuel level get down to fumes.

2. Brian

Brian Veteran Member

good to know:happy:

3. angelo

angelo New Member

I am re-opening this conversation!

I have an 81 Firebird, same trunk pan as the one Brian shared pics of in post #14. I am about to install a Tanks Inc fuel tank with their in tank pump for my FiTech. I am not concerned about having access to the fuel sender, if that goes bad I will just have to pull the tank but the fuel pump is a critical item, if stranded on the side of the road one can't just drop the tank.

I am trying to figure out the best way to add an access door without compromising the strength of the floor.

Idea:
    [​IMG]

I am looking at adding a 4.125x4.125 (red) or 8.125x4.750 (green) access door marked in the image above. I want to leave about 1/4 to 3/8" below the bend at the top as I think that will help maintain the strength of the floor pan. I am still not 100% sure if there will be enough space to slide the in-tank pump in/out at that angle but I am thinking that worse case all I would have to do is slightly lower the gas tank holding it with a jack just enough to clear to do maintenance.

Thoughts? I am thinking if this isn't going to work I will not install an access door and just hope I never have pump issues.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Detroit Speed has a pre-fabbed cover

5. angelo

angelo New Member

Oh nice, theirs is a cover rather than a hinge and uses much thicker metal! Did you put yours in the same spot I am planning? If so, are you able to get the fuel pump in/out at that angle?

Thanks again,
    Angelo

6. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i would recommend a simple doubler plate. like this

[​IMG]

basically BEFORE you cut anything you make a "2" wide window frame" (doubler...) with an opening the size you need to acess your fuel pump assembly. Bend beat bang it into shape of floor in location needed.. (a little more to the passenger side from your pic...but depends on YOUR fuel cell) then scribe our the INSIDE WINDOW onto your floor......
    now draw lines 1" BIGGER than the opening you just scribed on the floor. CUT THERE. clean and precise!
    When you are done blind rivet "doubler" UNDER the car (with sealer to floor) use the floor piece you cut to INSERT back into hole you cut and screw it to "doubler". Sealed removable smooth!

btw...a simple piece of .093 aluminum works well ..... you want SOFT aluminum like 3003 ..:) NO HEAT TREATMENT!

7. angelo

angelo New Member

I just finished the trunk access door install in my 81 Firebird Trans Am. I wrote up everything with pictures and measurements on my blog.

http://www.modsandrods.tv/2020/06/0...d-trans-am-tanks-inc-fuel-injection-gas-tank/

The Tanks Inc AD-85 access door is a nice piece. I modified the piano hinge end with a body hammer to give it a slight contour, this was to locate the hole a touch better for the placement of the fuel pump in the tank. I think the access door can be improved, it is metal against metal when closed, which provides the possibility of vibrations. I am going to find some very thin rubber to glue along the parameter to both act as a seal as well as to absorb the vibrations. Attached is an image of the access door open with the gas tank installed.

You could almost install rivnuts in some of the locations where you see rivets as the gas tank has a round indentation which would allow for a screw to come down. I do not recommend that, last thing you want are screws pointing toward the gas tank, that is what Ford did early on with the Pinto and we know how that turned out. Rivets are the safest way to go in this location.

Attached Files: