Acquiring a 1994 c2500

SPG

Bumblebee Builder
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sacramento
I got news that my girlfriend's parents have to move out of the apartment they rent due to the owners selling it, they have too many cars for the new place so I am being given the truck.

I'll be honest, I don't like trucks, hate them in fact. But I'm not going to say no, and I'm not going to get rid of it as I will use it for it's intended purpose of towing around the camaro, and runs to the hardware store that don't fit in my civic.

Truck has roughly 130k-140k miles on it, has been taken care of very well, gets regular maintenance, no rust. Only "issue" is the clear coat is peeling, and probably needs new tires soon. Truck is 100% stock as far as I am aware.

Anyways, what things should I keep my eyes out for? with the amount of miles it has I would imagine the engine would start needing new gaskets. Springs will most likely needing to be replaced eventually, I would probably drop it by an inch or two, are c1500 parts interchangeable with c2500?

Any general advice would be appreciated.
1660611676605.png

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Doubt you will need to replace springs, and there’s not much use to lowering a 3/4 ton. No c1500 and 2500 do not share suspension/steer components. Rear spring shackles are the same, the leaf springs will physically bolt up but there again why? If you want to tow the camaro it’s it’s beyond pointless to put half ton springs in it.
130k is nothing for these trucks, barely getting broke in. They aren’t super faster but they are reliable and simple to work on.

My advice, lose the contractors topper and ladder rack. Put a nice roll up cover on the box and some good tires and rock it the way it is in ways it was meant to be used for.

Jerry73Z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Nov 1, 2017
Greeley, CO
I own a 1996 K1500 with nearly 250k miles and hasn't needed anything major, only front brakes (twice that I know of) and u-joints (once).
The 4WD doesn't work, but you don't have to worry about that. It's on the to-do list to fix before the snow flies.
Always got a kick out of the assumption that once a vehicle is over 100k miles, you're going to have to start spending a ton of money fixing it.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
A clean rust free 94 3/4 ton? I would rock that thing towing. If it's a 350 TBI it could use a little help, it it's a 454 TBI it's going to suck gas down big time. Looks like a nice truck for free. If for any reason you are unhappy with it I will come over and take it off your hands, LOL.

70-camaro

Veteran Member
Mar 25, 2010
marietta ohio
My 1998 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT cab is still rock solid with 170000 miles. Always kept the fluids changed. Still runs strong so I will probably never sell it. I bought it in 2000 with 17000 miles on it so I know what I have.

Reactions: SPG

SPG

Bumblebee Builder
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2018
Sacramento
Always got a kick out of the assumption that once a vehicle is over 100k miles, you're going to have to start spending a ton of money fixing it.
My girlfriend's 2003 Monte Carlo has 113k miles and it's been causing her a bunch of problems that require us to fix it. Nothing too hard to fix yet but it has prevented the car from starting or running correctly a few times. The entire bcm needing to be replaced was kind of annoying. So maybe not have been everyone's experience but generally after 100k is when you expect to see major maintenance problems if you want it to run for another 100k

The roof rack will most likely be taken off as I won't need the ladder, not really sure if I'll take the steps off or the cover, I don't personally have an issue with them.

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Probably one of the most reliable trucks ever made is what your getting. I have a 98 k1500 that I drive every day that is rock solid as well. It has 160k on the clock and yeah sure it needs a little attention here and there from time to time but what 25 year old vehicle doesnt. Assuming it has a 350 in it the only real common issue on them that I know of is intake gaskets. (Thats what I think Jimmac is thinking of above and not head gaskets as well)

I agree with others if it were mine the contractor rack, shell, and steps would be off but if you dont care how it looks than run them. Mine had a shell on it when I got it. I couldnt take it so it now hangs in the rafters of my pole barn.