Adding courtesy lights?

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 3_z28camaro, Jul 26, 2009.

1. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey guys, I installed some new billet aluminum armrests that have a courtesy light built in. I am trying to have these act like a dome light but I wired them into one of the dome light wires and the lights illuminated but did not go out when the door was closed.

Then I tired tapping into the other dome light wire and they did not illuminate but when the door was closed these armrest lights dimly lit up and the dome light went to about half of its normal luminosity.

The lights in the arm rests only have one wire coming from the light.

Wiring is not exactly my speciality and I was curious if anyone else has wired in extra courtesy lights to act like dome lights? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks!!:)

2. BB72R-Yes

BB72R-Yes Veteran Member

I'm no expert but on the wiring harness I just put in if you add a light(courtesy) on the domelight circuit it has to tap into the hot as well as the ground circuit. It's the ground cicuit that the door jam switches control that makes the lights go off and on. If you have only one wire than perhaps the armrest itself is supposed to be grounded somehow? Got pics?

3. iregret

iregret Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where are the lights grounded then? Do they seek ground through the arm rests?

If it's dimming you're dome light, you could always go with a relay setup.

4. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The lights appear to ground through the armrest and into the door. I was partially suspicious of the lights in the armrests not being properly grounded.

5. Scatter

Scatter Veteran Member

If I am not mistaken, there is constant power to the dome light and it gets the ground from the switches in the door.

If there is 1 wire coming from the door handle light, then it must be grounded constantly and the light is looking for power.

You could change the whole set up and use a relay as mentioned before. Just use the switches in the door to provide a ground for the relay to energize it, sending power to the lights. You would also need to make sure all of the lights are somehow grounded.

Hope this helps

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  6. heavy duty

heavy duty Veteran Member

Courtesy lights have constant power. They come on because the door switch is the ground. Do not ground the lights to anything but the door switch wire.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009