Adding power brakes to my 72RS

scottgull

Sep 12, 2013
NC
My 72 comes out of the paint shop soon so it will be time to start reassembling it. It currently has manual brakes so I want to add a power booster to the brake system. I assume I will need the booster, proportioning valve and new brake lines......am I right or am I missing something? Also, anyone know of a "kit" that I can purchase with everthing in it?

Scott

MadMatt

Sep 14, 2007
Montclair, VA
Agree with all the suggestions above, but just one more thing… I strongly recommend looking into hydro boost instead of the traditional vacuum booster types.

Even if you don’t have an aggressive cam profile you can’t beat the increased line pressure and extra space in the engine compartment.

nuhmizer

Veteran Member
May 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I couldn’t find a pin anywhere. I ended up buying a clevis pin from McMaster-Carr but I had to buy a hole box. Let me know if you want a couple

Nitrous fish

Feb 15, 2018
Tipp City Ohio
I installed a ccp hydro boost. If you have power steering this is the way to go. My wife says it’s better than her new truck. I have 4 wheel disc brakes and it stops on a dime and gives you back 9 cents.
FD0A90FC-A82D-4D29-BE63-6779C9597FA4.jpeg

MadMatt

Sep 14, 2007
Montclair, VA
I installed a ccp hydro boost. If you have power steering this is the way to go. My wife says it’s better than her new truck. I have 4 wheel disc brakes and it stops on a dime and gives you back 9 cents. View attachment 127230

yes that’s a good unit! That’s been my experience too. Except I like the old corvette master cylinder. Haven’t had good luck with the aluminum fittings on the Willwood.

also don’t forget to use the right proportioning valve. They are different depending on the use of rear drums or discs.

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
I installed a ccp hydro boost. If you have power steering this is the way to go. My wife says it’s better than her new truck. I have 4 wheel disc brakes and it stops on a dime and gives you back 9 cents. View attachment 127230

I'm curious if you ever measured the line pressure increases with the HB unit? did you leave the clevis in the manual or power hole on the arm?

I thought about going this route as I do not have enough vacuum to run a booster, but was leary using the power steering unit in a road course application in case you ever tosses a PS belt.