Adjust door hinges on an assembled car?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mrluckies, May 25, 2021.

1. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Does anyone have tips/info on adjusting door hinges on an assembled car? C302547E-EE21-4991-9069-40B0FA66BCFE.jpeg 67B751AF-FD82-4242-8BDD-CECA84A53CDE.jpeg I know there is a special wrench to loosen the bolts on the body to hinge bolts, but I need the door fully open to fit something and then I don’t have leverage to move the door. appreciate any advice, besides taking the front fender off!

2. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Think of each bolt as a pivot point. Loosen the bolt you want to pivot on just a little so it’s still tight but not torqued. Back all the others off, when the door starts to separate from the hinge plate you’ve gone too far. Carefully close the door, push or pry it into position, open, tighten bolts, rinse and repeat.

Requires lots of incremental adjustments and patience, and if the car’s never been apart you might have to fight the sticky caulking that GM sometimes put in between the body and hinges.

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

One thing that can help a lot is to get some 2x4s and build a small frame / jig that the door can rest on. You can use shims to help fine tune the alignment, but its a LOT easier when the door is resting on something, as opposed to trying to man-handle the door into the correct position.

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Why does the door need adjusting? Having the fender off is the best way.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

The absolute best and easiest method is to have an extra person. 2 of us adjusted mine with nothing more that boxed end wrenches and a floor jack. One person kept the door upright while the other tightened bolts.

6. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is the longest, heaviest door ever produced by GM - getting it aligned properly with the fender and the body lines for the door gap (under the B-pillar and along the bottom rocker) is tricky. (But as the poster above mentioned, a floorjack and an extra pair of hands will help tremendously.)

GoldenOne7710 likes this.
  7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

No argument the door is big, but when the guts are not in it, it’s not hard. I did both my doors myself.

8. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thx guys! I’ll give it a try using a floor jack or something else. I also like scott51’s idea. Just didn’t know how to do it without dropping, but it seems reasonable.

9. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Rubber door wedges between the rocker and bottom edge of the door can also come in handy.

10. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Red70Z

Try hanging a Camaro door on a finished painted car! I built a custom dolly so I didn't chip the edges. You are welcome to borrow it if close - I am in NC. It is infinitely adjustable and on wheels 20200805_205522.jpg

Revin likes this.