Adjust door hinges on an assembled car?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by mrluckies, May 25, 2021.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I would most def remove the fender in this case....not worth the risk no matter how careful you are!

2. mrluckies

mrluckies Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thx for the offer Allison, unfortunately I’m up in NJ. But that gives me some ideas.

My car is painted and agree it’s easier with the fender off. However I know my uncles shop (no longer with us) used to do it all the time with the fender on. I know they have experience so it’s easier for them. My front fender/door needs to be repainted anyway so I’m willing to risk it. I’m more likely to scratch the hood taking that off than I am worried about the fender/door. My uncle used to always put tape on the edges of the fender and door to keep them from chipping.

3. scrap--metal

scrap--metal Veteran Member

I think the second generation Monte Carlo doors were bigger and heavier. Just saying...

CDesperado's right about a floor jack and a second set of hands. It's much easier than adjusting any old GM door alone.

4. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Removing the fender is a huge pain, not to mention you then lose the ability to align the door to the fender and hood.

I did what the other guys mentioned: built a jig to hold the door and it uses a floor jack front and back. I can raise or lower the door front or back. I got a correct alignment on both sides after paint.

I completed the restoration in 2010. In 2020 the hinges developed slop again so I pulled the jig back out and pulled the hinges one at a time for replacement. Was able to restore the doors again.

The jig idea works great. You can see the door alignment in this picture:

3B93DD0A-5870-47A7-8644-774071CF4061.jpeg

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    chuck13 likes this.
  5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Luv the split bumper.....

6. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Red70Z

Just to chime back in - the beauty of door hinge work using a "dolly" either store bought or home made is the door is hanging from a framework. So it is much more steady and safe. It isn't going to roll on you (doors are top heavy). Or slide off the jack (the door bottom flat is only about 2" wide). Or you didn't hit the doors center of gravity....every 1/16" adjustment or 1 degree angle make a world of difference when shooting for perfection. AND you can get both hinges working together, by that I mean it is possible to get the door set perfect but only 1 hinge is doing most of the work and the other just floating a fraction off. The loaded hinge will quickly wear until the other hinge is loaded

jthomas likes this.