Adopted a rescue yesterday :)

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 79CamaroDiva, Feb 15, 2010.

1. 79CamaroDiva

79CamaroDiva Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Some people that know me in person know this, but I didn't make any formal announcement in December. While I was away on a cruise, my nearly 2 year old dog, Dahlia, suddenly passed away from a hereditary disease called hemolytic anemia. We had no idea that she had it, and it was completely devastating to find out, especially when I was supposed to be enjoying my vacation.

Well, over 2 months have passed, and even though I still miss her, winter is just not the same without a dog around to play with in the snow. I've been browsing petfinder.com, and came across a dog that had similar markings to Dahlia, and at first I thought I couldn't handle it because they're so much the same.. about 2 weeks went by and I realized that was a ridiculous reason not to give a dog a home, and it was the same exact reason that Dahlia fell in my lap, because the people who ordered her didnt like her coloring when she came in.

So anyhow, I put in an application on Thursday or Friday, and they liked it so much they agreed to come up from Delaware yesterday to let me meet her and set up a week trial run. She's settled right in and there's no way she's going back to her foster home :)

Her name is Dixie right now, but I want to change it, probably something to do with the fact that I got her on Valentines day, but not something incredibly tacky. She was listed as an Am Staf, but to me looks more like another American Bulldog. There's no way to know for sure unless I do that breed test thing.

anyhow, here she is
    Taking over grandpas lap (my dad)
    [​IMG]

now great grandmas lap
    [​IMG]

With her new puggle friend Jake
    [​IMG]

2. CogentZ28

CogentZ28 Veteran Member

Congrats and sorry to hear about your other dog, I lost my Doberman a few years ago and still miss her. Later on I plan to adopt one, as that was the best and most loyal dog I've ever had.

Do you have anymore pictures?

3. Mark80Z28

Mark80Z28 Veteran Member

First off, I'm sorry to hear about Dahlia.

Congrats on Dixie. She's a pretty dog! I vote to keep that name.

4. laninme

laninme Member

Sorry about your lost of your beloved Dahlia, but somehow the universe seems to right itself when it comes to things like this. We had a similar situation with our Doxie (Max), and lo and behold, we aslo found a rescue Doxie (Dexter) with the same temperment, coloring and markings of Max and you would swear that they were one in the same.

5. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aww, I'm so sad to hear about Dahlia too... I had no idea... Poor pup. Sooo young..that's scary to think about.

6. 79CamaroDiva

79CamaroDiva Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

thanks everyone, since I was out of the country it was too expensive to get online and when I got back it was harder because it was like it was brand new again so i just couldnt bring myself to put anything up. She showed no signs whatsoever, and my cousin was watching her and one day she just wasnt acting like the playful silly dog she was, she took her to the vet and she passed within an hour. Her red blood cells stopped clotting and she was even bleeding from the IV site so there was nothing that could stop it. I'm petrified of hereditary diseases now, so I'm probably going to have a full battery of blood work done on Dixie to make sure she's clear, or know ahead of time so maybe we can stop it.

For comparison, here's some pix of Dahlia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry about your other dog, Melissa. :whine:

Dixie looks like she fits right in with her new surroundings.
    Good save! :D

8. BTTB71SS

BTTB71SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry about your dog Dahlia...It is always hard to loose one.

But thank you for adopting a rescue... Looks like she will fit in just fine :)

9. badazz70z28

badazz70z28 Veteran Member

sorry to hear of the loss on other dog, who thinks she is a lap dog much like my Nakkita.but good looking new addition.