Advise needed on broken posi

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by BC_Homegrown, Apr 4, 2021.

1. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

You keep typing dial bore gauge. Are you sure that's what you mean and not a dial indicator? There is a big difference in them. A dial bore gauge won't do you any good when setting up a rear end.

2. BC_Homegrown

BC_Homegrown Member

@biggearhead yes my mistake dial indicator was what I was meaning.:confused:

On another note I ended up going with the Eaton truetrac as you suggest from summit, it was about 50 bucks more so not a large difference. I've also ordered a carrier install kit that comes with the bearings, races and shims. I'll wait till I have the dial indicator so I can measure backlash before removing, mark the caps and keep track of which shims go where.

If all goes well I'm hoping I won't have to touch the pinion and can reuse the ring gear, and between your step by step write up and a few videos will enable me to get the new one installed.

Any other suggestions please feel free as this is all new to me and I appreciate any help I can get!

3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

what kind of install kit did you get...from summit? Only place i have found the "super shim" kit is Randys ring n pinion. THATS what you will need since swapping the carrier, otherwise it is a real PITA (unless you have 100 different SOLID shims laying around...like some folks )

https://www.randysworldwide.com/shop/sk-ss10

4. big gear head

When you mark the caps, only mark the right cap. Don't put any punch marks or stamps on the left cap.

5. BC_Homegrown

BC_Homegrown Member

BGH:Yes will do, was thinking of just using a punch and putting a dot on the right cap and then beside it on the case.

Fbird: I started off looking at the individual timken bearings and races from summit but couldn't find a kit with shims so I went with this kit from yukon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0078UAZB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently it has the larger ID bearings for the bigger carrier, hopefully its the right one. In a perfect world I will just be reusing the existing shims IF its set up correctly right now.

I was thinking of checking the teeth meshing as well before taking it apart just to see what the current pattern looks like. Its possible its totally out of whack, I've only driven the car off the trailer into the shop so far so no idea if it makes noise. I'm also concerned the ring and pinion are worn and need to be changed as well. I should be able to get a good look at them once I take the carrier out.

Sound good so far?

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Take lots of pictures as you go along. Priceless for later use if needed.

STUCKINCALI likes this.
  7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes that kit has the super shims..(they are MADE by YUKON) No in ANY world you would NOT be using the same carrier shims when replacing the carrier with another one.
    Yes paint your CURRENT set-up by rotating gear set via an AXLE....BOTH WAYS.....2-3 full revs...and measure backlash. THEN write down backlash number then take good PICS of drive and coast pattern.
    then...Then.....THEN
    you can start to tear it down
    FYI ring gear bolts are LEFT HANDED....= righty LOOSEN ;)

8. BC_Homegrown

BC_Homegrown Member

Pics and writing things down I can do, I will post up pics of existing pattern before I proceed, will probably be a week or so.

Good to know about the old shims it makes sense now that I think about it that they would be the smaller ID. Hopefully the kit comes with comparable shims. Also good reminder about the bolt direction, I do remember seeing that in a video I watched.

The more I read and watch the more confident I'm feeling, thank you guys again that would take time out of your day to help out a random internet stranger, probably saving a grand at least in labour costs from what the shop told me on the phone.

9. big gear head

Out of the many hundreds of rear ends that I have done there have only been 2 ties that the original shims were the correct thickness. I can almost guarantee that you will be using the new shims. Be sure that you get them tight enough. It's a good idea to make a tool for driving them in.

10. BC_Homegrown

BC_Homegrown Member

Good call, I undoubtedly would have used a drift and boogered them haha. I should be able to copy a tool with the size I need from pictures once I get the shims, thank you sir.