advise on fighting a ticket

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by SpeedAddict02, May 10, 2014.

1. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Got a speeding ticket this morning in the Bronx.. First one in almost 10 years..:(

Was heading to work and just not paying attention.. Just in my lane, cruising. On the Major Deegan, PO pulled out from the gas station that's right before Van Cortland Park and pulls me over. I was in the left lane. Anyway, He told me he clocked me at 71mph. Speed limit is 50mph. I know I wasn't doing 71 b/c I had my cruise control set to 65. So wtf do I do? I didn't argue with him.. I was running late as it is, and I just don't argue with POs. Took the ticket and went on my way..

But I'm reading the back of the ticket now, and it says if you are doing 21mph over the limit it's a minimum 6 points plus the Driver Responsibility Assessment which I think is like $100/yr for 3 yrs.. Plus the initial fine is $203.. THAT got me pissed b/c like I said, I wasn't doing 71.

I want to fight it, but not sure what my chances are.. I have no problem pleading guilty to 65, and paying the fine. I admit I was doing that. But I just don't know how to prove my case to the judge. My word against his..

He looked real young. Probably a rookie and even seemed slightly nervous when he approached the car. I mentioned I worked for Transit (MTA) and was on my way to work and apologized that I wasn't paying attention to my speed.. Kinda Hoping, but not expecting, a courtesy or little leniency.. But that didn't happen.

Any advice?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Your member name and avatar seem somewhat appropriate for this thread. ;)

It all depends upon the state/county where this occurred

Usually.... You can meet with the prosecutor (or assistant) and see if you can work a deal.
    You can sometimes pay the fine (for a lesser charge) and it will keep the points off your record unless you get another one in a year.

At the end of the day...They just want your money.

3. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Been there done that. :whine:

No advice on fighting the ticket, I usually just pay. Ive paid that driver assesment fee a few times over.

Its hard to follow the changing speed limits in our loooong ride. It starts of 65 here, then in NYC its down to 35. :screwup:

ive had my liscence suspended twice since living up here for speeding....im no angel. :innocent: Dont mention my name.

4. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

I never plead guilty !!! See what they offer you. It's usually better than the original offence . Try to work the appearance into a non work time frame . It's more than likely worth it

5. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Fight it.Show up to court & see if they will work with you.Sometimes the officer doesn't show & they have no case.

6. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

First thing to do is change the court date. This greatly increases the odds that the officer won't show up. No ticky, no laundry!!!!

7. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I beat a 135 in 45 when I got the trooper all balled up on his spew..
    go to court and make your case.. it doesn't cost any more than time off work.
    as stated, most times the officer doesn't show and you can get it dismissed.
    good luck Joe...

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Court cost some times can be more than the fin, check it out.

9. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Take a defensive driver course before your court date if you can. Then talk to the district attorney. If you have a clean license they will be more likely to work with you.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  10. slayer74

slayer74 Veteran Member

drag it out as long as you can,this has helped me in the past