advise on fighting a ticket

harbone66

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 15, 2011
Central Illinois
ls777z said:
Take a defensive driver course before your court date if you can. Then talk to the district attorney. If you have a clean license they will more likely to work with you.

^^^This^^^

If your record is clean take a class or get probation. If you stay ticket free during that period then its wiped off your record.

It might cost a few bucks but your insurance wont go up and your record stays cleans.

mgs1971

Veteran Member
Jan 11, 2009
CLEMSON, SC.
I agree with dragging it out and then when you finally have to show up I have heard that you should ask for proof of calibration on the radar gun and also for proof that the officers is certified on the radar gun he used and that his certification is up to date.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Mike

KJZ28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 26, 2004
Brewsterico, New Fail
mgs1971 said:
I agree with dragging it out and then when you finally have to show up I have heard that you should ask for proof of calibration on the radar gun and also for proof that the officers is certified on the radar gun he used and that his certification is up to date.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Mike

This is great advice, have heard this done successfully numerous times.

ls777z said:
Take a defensive driver course before your court date if you can. Then talk to the district attorney. If you have a clean license they will be more likely to work with you.

I agree... the Def Drv Course may help with the judge but just be aware if you are convicted and 6 points are assigned, you'll need to take another Def Drv Course after the conviction if you want 4 points reduced off your license. Taking the course before your conviction will help with insurance and possibly with the judge but it won't help reduce any points that are assigned after you took the course.

Dragging it out and postponing can have a negative action because insurance companies use the conviction date as the starting point when they surcharge the policy. I've seen drivers get tickets in 2010, pay the fine in 2012 and then wonder why they're still be surcharged on their insurance for something that happened 4 years ago.

If you have an annual insurance policy, your best bet is to go to court and/or pay the fine one month before your policy renews. This way, the insurance company won't catch it and you'll get the first year without an insurance surcharge. If your insurance renewal was 60 days away, and you paid the fine, you could see the surcharge right away. In this case, I would delay the court date so it's closer to your insurance renewal. Doing so, could save you $200-$300.

RS1979

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Memphis, TN
Parking Ticket

Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting. Well, for example, the other day, Pat, my wife, and I went into town and visited a shop.

When we came out, there was a cop writing out a parking ticket. We went up to him and I said, 'Come on, man; how about giving a senior citizen a break?'

He ignored us and continued writing the ticket. So, I called him an ‘*******.’ He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn-out tires.

Then Mary called him a ‘poo-head.’ He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first. Then he started writing more tickets. This went on for about 20 minutes. The more we abused him, the more tickets he wrote. Just then our bus arrived and we got on it and went home.

We always look for cars with "OBAMA 2012" stickers. We try to have a little fun each day now that we're retired. It's important at our age.

JWZ28

Veteran Member
Feb 27, 2011
Alabama
They may drop it to a normal speeding ticket if you go to court and argue your actual speed.... but you were still speeding so I doubt it gets dropped completely. At least it wouldn't here in Alabama.

As for the PO not showing up, I'm not sure if NY is just different, but I always show up for people that want to contest the ticket I gave them. Whether they change the date or not, the prosecutor will notify me and make sure I can make it.

That being said i always make sure that I'm 100% positive the car I'm stopping is the one who committed the offense (and beyond that you still may get a break). I'd want the same courtesy and not everyone deserves a ticket. I promise 90% of us aren't dicks.