advise on fighting a ticket

Discussion in 'New York Regional' started by SpeedAddict02, May 10, 2014.

1. sceld71

sceld71 Veteran Member

My .02 is go in and make a deal with the asst. pros., along the lines of 65 and not the 71.
    FYI, if your cruise is set a say 65 MPH and the road has an incline in it, the engine will increase your Rev's to keep the speed steady. After the incline the Rev's sometime kick your ground speed faster.
    Does that make sense?

2. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hear ya. I'm no "cop hater" either. Just the matter of fact.. if I was doing the speed, I'd pay it n deal with it. If the points weren't so high and there was no driver responsibilty assessment of $100 per year for 3 years, I'd also just pay the fine and lesser points to avoid the hassle. . But it's just too much to swallow imo because i wasn't doing the speed.

3. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Fight it and request the latest court there's a 60%video chance he won't show up. I already won two this way

4. tapsexpress

tapsexpress Member

plead not guilty and ask for a supporting deposition. If you don't get one from the officer with in 30 days then the court has to dismiss the ticket

5. global warmer

global warmer Veteran Member

if you have not had a parking ticket in over 10 years a lawyer can get it reduced to a 401A or whaterver it is called. Its a parking in a non parking spot without the use of hazard lights. Non moving violation no points just a small fine. I have only got 2 tickets in my life been driving for nearly 14 years. My first ticket was easily reduced.

6. lancerus

lancerus Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It'll cost you - but for something with large points looming I usually just hire a lawyer. Last ticket I had an "over 50" in a 30 (so same 6 points), lawyer path got this changed to a non-moving violation, I paid the town $100 (so they got their bucks), nothing on license, everyone is happy.

7. SpeedAddict02

SpeedAddict02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Emailed a lawyer about fighting the ticket for me. He said in NYC with the tvb (traffic violations bureau) there is no plea bargains. Plead not guilty. Goes to trial. It's either all or nothing. No guarantees.. his fee is $425. So it will cost me anywhere from $425 - $1000 basically. . Think I may just pay it. But gonna try one or two more lawyers n see what they say. Already answered the ticket not guilty. Court date for 6/16. So I have a little time. I can go back n change my plea and pay it if I decide.

8. 2ndGenCrazy

2ndGenCrazy Veteran Member

If you can find out the method he used (radar vs. laser) you can do your homework on innaccuracy or known issues with error..
    The device must be calibrated each day he uses it, and it must be logged and recorded. He must produce that in court if you request it.
    Go with a diagram of the scene where you were ticketed showing the position of he and you. Any issues with innaccuracy due to other traffic or position when he targeted you?
    Dress professionally and be very respectful.
    Good luck.

9. 71flh

71flh Veteran Member

Why were you in the speed lane? "Just in my lane cruising." Merge right as all traffic should unless passing. :)

Plenty of good info above. The usual is drag it out, get new dates, and hope the cop has better things to do when the time comes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  10. FTWayner

FTWayner Member

Move. The entire DRA thing is unconstitutional.
    If you pay the ticket, you cannot plead not guilty to the DRA. Ask me how I know.
    To this day I cannot drive in NY state.
    I did have to take a DDC ($40 online) in Indiana to keep my license here and the other 48 states.