After photos of installed Pro Flo 4 units

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by simso, Apr 24, 2020.

1. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

It's actually the AD244's little brother, the AD230! Still a great alternator though. It just sits there at 14.4v, +/- 0.2v depending on how long its been running, even all the way down to 625 RPM idle with the AC on, 4th gen radiator fans at full blast, and the radio playing. I figured if the AD230 is enough for a Suburban/Tahoe, then it's plenty for my setup. Plus it's probably a little less weight and rotating mass than an AD244 :p

I'm very happy with it. It blows me away how well it runs with how little tuning there is to do. I do NOT miss having to fiddle with fueling/spark tables. Basically all you need to worry about is idle, cruise, and WOT timing and AFR targets. I think my setup is a little more fiddly than what most people would do because I'm running catalytic converters so I have it targeting 14.7 AFR for idle and cruise. Took a while to find the sweet spot for idle timing for it to be happy at 14.7.

The only lingering issue I have is it surges on a heat soaked restart until the O2 warms up and it adjusts the fuel trim temporarily. Seems like it needs more fuel under that condition and there doesn't seem to be a way to add fuel there. I'm wondering if it's a fuel temp issue, but I don't know what to even do about that because it's already set up to return fuel through the rails. Or maybe that's just what the engine wants when it gets that hot.

I think it's fantastic for someone who wants EFI but doesn't want to sink a ton of time into learning how and then actually tuning with a more complex system. I had a Holley Sniper before this and while it was pretty good, it was still a lot of dorking around with rather large fueling and timing tables along with all the other conditional adjustments for each of those like air temp, coolant temp, post startup at every possible temp, the season, current tide conditions, what color shirt you have on... I spent a good few months constantly tweaking stuff with the Sniper trying to get it just right, and the Pro-Flo 4 managed to meet and exceed all of that on its own on the first drive.

I'm sure something more serious like a Holley HP/Terminator/Dominator or even doing an LS-based PCM with crank and cam sensors and a coil-near-plug setup would make it even better, but that's also a lot more tuning. I still may give the 0411 thing a shot one day though. Can't help but to tinker sometimes.

It's actually a Formula so it never had a factory shaker, but the previous owner butchered the poor ram air hood and made a hole for an air cleaner to poke through. I reshaped the hole for a shaker. I had to make my own base because I don't think a Chevy base for this year of shaker exists anyways. It's just a flat round sheet of ABS that's riveted to a 10" non-drop base air cleaner. I sized the ABS plate to attach to the shaker using the factory retainer ring thing.

That used to just barely fit with the Weiand Speed Warrior intake and Sniper, but the Pro-Flo 4 sits a good bit lower so there's a stack of spacers under the air cleaner now. It's actually low enough that I could even use a 14x3 drop base air cleaner and go to a formula hood without a hole in it, but I kinda like the shaker. I need to make a new base now that there's more space and can run a larger filter. Should be able to do something similar to one of the aftermarket bases, which I suspect will involve a 16x2 or 16x3 cake pan and a 14x3 drop base air cleaner https://butlerperformance.com/c-123...es-drop-base-unit-for-pontiac-ta-shakers.html

simso likes this.
  2. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

I love my xt but always wonder about the 4150 set up.

Attached Files:

John Wright and simso like this.
  3. simso

simso Veteran Member

Super nice look the xt

4. simso

simso Veteran Member

Edelbrock 35760 ordered and on its way

76z28 and rburrow87 like this.
  5. 76z28

76z28 Veteran Member

You will be pleased! I didn't realize how nice it was until I drove my father's carburated car LOL
    I was not used to turning and it stumbling!

simso likes this.
  6. simso

simso Veteran Member

Not going to lie, pretty excited at the thought of it, one of my pet hates was always flodding the carb or pumpin the gas at idle when its cold etc etc, compare that to our every day car, raining / ice cold, turn the key, perfect idle modern fuel injection is just one of those things

dave@ztech likes this.
  7. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

I tidied up that rat's nest I had on the driver side fender. Dropped the inner fender out and mounted the computer to the firewall, and routed the ECU and fuel pump power wiring through that void between the inner fender and the fender.

[​IMG]

roadrace2 and simso like this.
  8. 73 Z

73 Z Veteran Member Gold Member

Nice accessory drive set up, is that a Pontiac or sbc

9. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Thanks! It's a SBC. The accessory drive is just off of a 1988+ 3rd gen f-body.

10. simso

simso Veteran Member

on your firewall it saids msd efi, is that the new efi control unit or just msd for the coil