Aftermarket Power Windows

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Detrailers, Mar 8, 2016.

1. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Stop it or I'll start blushing! lol seriously, that EBay looks pretty good-the harness uses later model plastic switches designed for reversing polarity motors which they use it appears. That kit should include a main IGN control relay for the harness but-the drawback to any system that piggybacks GM setup is that voltage still goes through the switch-exactly as all 78-88 Monte Carlos, Cutlass, etc. are wired. I'd suggest converting that harness to relay trigger or even express down if youre going that far into it.....relieving the switch of having to handle the load will do wonders to speed up the motors-remember, the OEM door glass in these 2nd gens are not light!

2. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The kit I got comes with all the required wiring for the power windows. The Electric Life require the separate purchase of a wiring harness unless you use some factory wiring.

I will post some pics later of the wiring to help anyone who's interested.

3. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, I plan on incorporating relays. It looks like a simple yet very effective upgrade for any power window system.

4. Detrailers

Detrailers Veteran Member

Yeah but jeez they want 435 bucks for the kit on they're website...is that what you paid?....i guess that is on par with classics kit by the time you add the harness and switches etc...

5. Detrailers

It looks like the first kit I posted has a gear that turns your existing manual window crank...seems like the kits with the new regulators would be better. Would have to buy the stock plugs that go where the cranks were

6. 2nd gen Guy

2nd gen Guy Veteran Member

Well the Classic kit is motors only, then add $100 ish for the wiring. If 76LTs kit comes with wire harness then it's the same price basically.
    I never seem to have lump sums of $ to get complete kits of anything so I usually get what I need as I go.
    And sorry I called you Junkyard dog Jabin lol !

7. junkyardZ28find

Here's one of my dual window express/auto down relay upgrade harness for 2nd gens. This particular kit is for ones originally equipped with power windows but have swapped the internals out for a later model setup such as the one shown above using reverse polarity motors. The yellow relay is the new IGN control relay which has built-in parallel diodes and is extremely HD! I also include the correct pack-con connectors and terminals to tap into your existing 3-cavity OEM relay connector for a factory install. This goes beyond what anybody currently offers for function.
    I have many variations of this harness but if somebody is interested in a higher end OEM style harness with late model features, then you do have options.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  8. Detrailers

I like it alot...one prob is my car was not born pw so could you put me together a harness with the same features and switch...and let me know how much...pm me if you want or post it up here

9. junkyardZ28find

That's still not a problem. I'd still use the IGN control window relay-I'll just include connectors to use fuse panel BAT source for power and an IGN plug in for switched power for the relay-basically the way GM pulled power-from there to the switch and to the motors it will be upgraded. Id suggest getting the conversion kit w/o harness and I can supply you with one if thats what you'd prefer. I will PM you with details so as not to clutter up the thread....

10. 2nd gen Guy

2nd gen Guy Veteran Member

I had the same scenario as you, the harness he offers is pretty simple to wire in . Good luck with it.