Aftermarket radio install

Discussion in 'Car Audio, Electronics & Security' started by 75Maro, May 13, 2020.

1. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

Just installed an aftermarket head unit. It was free so don’t judge too hard! Eventually going to put in a good Kenwood unit but this will work for now.

Attached Files:

2. NOLAZACK

NOLAZACK Veteran Member

u did a good job.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Head unit installation looks good! :D

What's the rest of the system? (Speakers, Amp etc.)

My suggestion... Set goals and do it once.
    Retrofitting an audio system into these cars can get time-consuming and expensive if your expectations keep changing.

I can't count the number of changes I've made to my sound system since I've owned a 2nd gen. :crazy:

75Maro and Zstar like this.
  4. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

6x9’s in the package tray are kenwood. Working on dash speaker now.
    Man you hit the nail on the head, for some reason I have to do everything on this car twice!! At least!!

5. Jim Streib

Jim Streib https://www.flickr.com/photos/121766713@N04/albums

Rest easy in that the rectangular hole you have now will accept a Kenwood cage, an Alpine, a Sony,and so on as the cutout is a standard size. The call it a single DIN size.

When you do get to the dash speaker install, try and get the edges of the speaker sealed to the underside of the dash. The reason for this is to increase what little bass the small speaker(s) can reproduce. Basically by sealing the speakers outside flange or edge to the dash underside with either rope caulk or closed cell foam the sound eminating from the backside of the speaker cannot quickly get to the frontside of the speaker. If that happens lower midrange and bass suffer.

Something I did in my 68 with a foam XTC baffle to help with getting some better sound:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added some black grill cloth to the topside to help conceal the replacement speakers:

[​IMG]

Jim

NOLAZACK, 75Maro and BillyDean7173 like this.